Movie Critique Essays
Gummo - movie critique.
The film Gummo is intended to be a symbolic movie in which fantasy and reality intertwine. Initially, the film opens in a small town in Ohio after a tornado has swept through and destroyed it. Economically the small region is wrecked. Like the buildings around them, the social fabric that is holding the town together is coming apart at the seams. Whatever traditions and values this town has held in the past seem to no longer exist as the line between the sacred and the profane has been obscured beyond
Critique of the Movie Educating Rita
Critique of the Movie Educating Rita Director: Lewis Gilbert Screenwriter: Willy Russell Released: 1983 With Julie Walters, Michael Caine, and others Rita (Julie Walters) is a twenty-six years old hairdresser from Liverpool who has decided to get an education. Not the sort of education that would get her just a better job or more pay, but an education that would open up for her a whole new world--a liberal education. Rita wants to be a different person, and live an altogether different sort
A Critique of the Movie, The Birdcage (La Cage aux Folles)
A Critique of the Movie, The Birdcage (La Cage aux Folles) A gay couple, living in a gay apartment, with a gay houseboy, above a gay nightclub, in a gay city . . . and they have to straighten it all out for one evening. In 1996 La Cage aux Folles (a 1978 French play) was remade by MGM into The Birdcage, a daringly flamboyant comedy that is in-tune with the times and redefines the idea of family values. It combines the talents of Robin Williams (Armand), Nathan Lane (Albert), and Hank Azaria
The Day After
The Day After The Day After, was viewed in the living room of my house on two occasions. The purpose of viewing this movie is to write a movie critique from my AP U.S. History 3rd block class. The objective of this overall story is to portray the event and effects that would occur if there were to be a nuclear war. The director of The Day After, is Nicholas Myer and the producer is Robert A. Papazian. The three main characters in this film include Dr. Russell Oakes played by Jason Robards, Stephen
Movie Critique Of The Movie 'Awakenings'
Bernades, Ninna Coleen V. SLP 1-1 Mole, Ericka A. Ms. Peggy Anne Movie Critique of “Awakenings” The Writer: Oliver Sacks The Director: Penny Marshal Awakenings is a 1990 American drama film that is based on a true story, adapted from the 1973 book by Dr. Oliver Sacks, a clinical neurologist in New York hospital in 1969 used the experiment L-dopa to awaken a group of post-encephalitic patients. These survivors of a post- World War I sleeping sickness epidemic had lived in a state
Critique of Movie The Insider
Critique of Movie The Insider A dramatization of 1995 events in which the tobacco industry allegedly covered up proof that nicotine is addictive and harmful. When Brown and Williamson executive Jeffrey Wigand (Crowe) tries to expose the industry's cover-up, he is threatened into silence. He eventually gets his story to 60 Minutes producer Lowell Bergman (AL Pacino), but CBS decides against airing it due to political and economic pressures, and the threat of lawsuit from Brown and Williamson
Chicago Movie Critique
industry was strong in the north. As of 2004 in the Encyclopedia of Chicago listed on its website that Chicago grew rapidly, and by 1920 the windy city earned the title of the industrial capitol of the United States which was portrayed accurately in the movie. When the camera would pan out into the city, it showed a dark and dingy skyline. It was obvious that the city relied heavily on industry because the scenes of the city showed air pollution and factories along with people in a rush to get to work.
Critique La Ventura
Critique La Ventura La Ventura is widely regarded as one of the greatest films to date. Michelangelo Antonioni didn’t win the Palme D’or, but it did get a Special Jury Prize during the Cannes film festival of 1960. No surprise he didn’t win the Palme D’or, but why give him an award in the first place? The reason for winning the title seemed unclear at first because the film had serious issues with breaking the rules of standardized filmmaking. For example having his actors enter the scene from
Analytical Critique of The Godfather
Analytical Critique of The Godfather I believe the reason that, 'The Godfather', is such a great film is because it lets audiences decide whether they like the characters or not. Too many movies made about organized crime begin with some seemingly random act of violence. 'The Godfather', however, lets it be known from the start to judge the characters in the film based on what type of person they are instead of the criminal activities they may engage in. The film begins with a wedding, and
The Movie: Marie Antoinette: Movie Critique
Marie Antoinette The movie I chose was about the infamous Marie Antoinette. The movie starts out with Marie Antoinette in her hometown having fun with her family and friends in Austria. The youngest out of seven her mother sets Marie up with Louis XVI the Dauphin of France in hopes that it will calm the feud between the two countries. Before she leaves, she has to get rid of anything from Austria, everything she adores even her adorable pug that follows her around everywhere she goes. She must
Movie Review: A Critique Of The Movie Great Gatsby
A Critique of the movie Great Gatsby Love greed and corruption are the issues surround the movie Great Gatsby as they hit the United States of America city Ney York in the jazz ages. Derived from F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel, the movie is close to the book getting almost all the conversations from it. Fitzgerald terms the innocent as corrupt, and those corrupt were innocent. The film uses this contradictory statement to describe the relationship between the government and the public. The film start
Inside Out: Movie Critique
Inside Out Movie Critique While watching the Pixar movie Inside Out with my little neighbor a few weekends ago I noticed that there were some suggestive scenes that fit into the Communications 270 course. The theme being gender in the media. Inside Out is about a girl named Riley who starts off as a happy and adventurous person. Everything seems to be going great in her life because of her inner emotion named Joy played by Amy Poehler. However, Riley’s mood becomes sour when she finds
Critique on Open City
Critique on Open City “Open City” is a neo-realist film that followed the movement in Italy during World War 2. The film is neo-realistic because it has that ‘reality’ like feeling to it by following specific characters through their daily stressful lives that are screwed up from poverty and war. It has many qualities that make it in some ways ‘closer’ to the characters. While watching, the viewer is sucked into the story and immediately feeling emotional with the families and the other various
Hamlet Drama Exam 1)Shakespeare’s revenge tragedy, “Hamlet,” critiques the society of Denmark using powerful mononlogues and dramatic action. On the other hand, Wilde’s comic drama pokes fun at the high morality of Victorian Society. One serious theme that I noticed in “The Importance of being Ernest” was the consistent act of deception throughout the entire play. However this lack of honesty was not lonesome for insightful comedy and a visible foreshadowing of upcoming events accompanied
Paris is Burning
watched the film Paris is Burning, a documentary about black drag queens in Harlem and their culture surrounding balls. Directly related we also read two feminist critiques, Gender is Burning: Questions of Appropriation and Subversion by Judith Butler and Is Paris Burning by bell hooks. Two areas of critique I focus on and question are the critiques regarding the filmmaker, audience and drag queens and how they participate to reinforce a heterosexual racist patriarchy. Furthermore I ask if this line of
Critique of The Day After Tomorrow
Critique of The Day After Tomorrow The movie, The Day After Tomorrow, addresses the issue of global warming. The movie?s portrayal of the events caused by global warming was extreme and not very believable. Some of the information is backed up by science but most is completely off the wall and nonrealistic. The movie cited the cause of the global climate change to be the rise in temperature due to greenhouse gasses. The warmer temperatures caused the polar ice caps to melt, and the increased
Critique of The Breakfast Club
Critique of The Breakfast Club Breakfast Club is a comedy that was released in 1985. It was written, produced and directed by John Hughes. It’s about five teenage students from different social groups when forced to spend a Saturday together in detention they find themselves interacting with and understanding each other for the first time. A jock, Emilio Estevez, a stoner, Judd Nelson, a princess, Molly Ringwald, a basket case, Ally Sheedy, and a brain, Anthony Michael Hall, talk about everything
Critique of Story Haircut
Reading through the whole story "Haircut" , it is not easy to believe that the death of Jim Kendall is really accidental. It is most likely that the incident is a murder. Jim Kendall is not a man who is loved by people in that small town, although some people find his jokes funny as long as they are not on them. There are many examples of those on whom Jim always makes annoying jokes such as Milt who "has got an Adams apple that looks more like a mushmelon" Julie Gregg and especially
A Critique of The Giver
A Critique of The Giver The purpose of this book was to show us a possible version of a "Utopia". It was a fantasy oriented book, that was suppose to make you think about the possibilities for the future. The setting is a supposedly perfect society where everyone is taken care of and no one is different. The author Lois Lowry does a fine job portraying this supposedly "ideal" society. This book began with a description of sameness and release the two general principles the society
Heidegger's Critique of Cartesianism
has been neglected. I wish to address the question by focusing on the major aspects of Heidegger's critique of Cartesian philosophy and the modern tradition. I will first show that the strength of his criticism lies in its all-encompassing penetration of the foundations of modern philosophy, running through both the ontological and epistemological channels. Ontologically, Heidegger presents a critique of subjectivism; epistemologically, he discredits the correspondence conception of truth and its underlying
How to Critique a Movie: Tips + Film Critique Example
How to write a film critique essay? To answer this question, you should clearly understand what a movie critique is. It can be easily confused with a movie review. Both paper types can become your school or college assignments. However, they are different. A movie review reveals a personal impression of the viewer. A movie critique, in its turn, aims to discuss the means of film production and give advice on what could be changed to make the film better.
Our specialists will write a custom essay on any topic for 13.00 10.40/page
No worries, we are here to help!
This article by Custom-Writing.org experts contains useful tips on how to critique a movie and a great film critique example. Read on to learn more!
- 🎬 How to Begin
- ⚙️ Key Elements of Any Film
- 💡 Useful Phrases
🎬 How to Critique a Movie: the Basics
Writing a movie critique means offering your insight and opinion on what was good and not that good with the movie and what made it intriguing to watch. There’s always something you like about the film and something you don’t. You may consider that the plot was good, but the special effects were horrible. Think of all the possible film production stages and try to look at them critically.
How to Critique a Movie: General Guidelines
- Choose a movie
- Specify the issues you are going to discuss and analyze in your paper
- Watch the movie several times: first to get a general idea of the film; second – to pay attention to the points that come into your sphere of interest
- Take notes while watching
- During your second watch, note the details you weren’t able to notice the first time
- Be specific
- Be objective
Criticizing does not mean expressing negative emotions. Too much pessimism will kill the reader’s desire to get closely acquainted with your writing. Even though the movie could be a real failure, try to present a sophisticated evaluation.
⚙️ Movie Critique: Key Elements of Any Film
Any film features several elements that you need to mention when you write your movie critique paper. Below in this section, you’ll find these elements’ descriptions and useful tips on analyzing them in your paper.
How to Critique a Film’s Plot
The plot is the flow of events and actions that consequently develop in a story. To discuss the film’s plot in your movie critique, you need to do the following:
- Decide whether the plot is predictable.
- Define whether some actions were unpredictable.
- If they were, express your views considering an unexpected turn of events that shocked you.
- See if the story corresponds to the characters’ motivations.
How to Critique a Film’s Structure
The movie’s structure is how the parts relate to each other or how the plot is built. Remember that the structure encompasses the following parts:
- Exposition (introducing the key characters and their circumstances)
- Rising action (mounting tension that leads to the story’s climax)
- Falling action
- Denouement (a resolution that brings the story to an end)
How to Critique the Movie’s Characters
Characterization is the description of the characters’ personalities, beliefs, motivations, etc. To discuss the film’s characterization in your movie critique, you need to do the following:
- Concentrate on specific movie characters.
- Set your priorities: some movie characters do not need any serious analysis.
- See if the characters’ dress, talk, act, or look corresponds with the impression they should create.
- Remember that the better the characters are developed, the more character-driven the story is.
- Consider that the right motivation of the characters makes the audience believe the story.
How to Criticize the Movie’s Dialogues
A dialogue is a conversation between two or more characters. To analyze the dialogues in your movie critique, do the following:
Receive a plagiarism-free paper tailored to your instructions.
- Remember that good dialogues should not be protracted as they are to sound natural.
- See if there is a logical development of the conversation.
- Watch the body language of the actors and decide whether their gestures correspond to their words or not.
How to Criticize the Movie’s Scenes
A scene is a self-contained episode within a larger work. To discuss the scenes in your movie critique, you should do the following:
- Determine whether the scenes were well-played by the actors and well-shot by the operator.
- Mind that they are to develop smoothly as a part of a larger dramatic unit.
- Remember that scenes should build a chain that makes up the story.
- Examine if they contain some conflict and how the characters typically react to it.
- Try to follow through each scene to make sure that it properly transitioned into the next one.
🧱 Movie Critique Outline
The general structure of a movie critique resembles the structure of an essay .
- Start with an introduction . There you are to provide necessary information about the film, make a summary of the plot, state your thesis, and give readers a clue on what your critique will be about.
- Divide the main body into several paragraphs . Explain your thesis there and examine each point separately. Do not forget to provide examples.
- End writing your movie critique with a conclusion . It should summarize everything and give answers to the questions raised in the paper.
Go over your paper to eliminate factual and spelling/grammar/punctuation mistakes. A good structure is a basis and a necessary condition of a successful paper.
💡 Top Phrases to Use while Writing a Film Critique
Now that you know all the essential elements of a movie critique structure, it’s high time to consider how to present your information in the most digestible and impressive way. A list of common phrases and set expressions in your movie critique writing will make your content more engaging, diverse, and easy to read.
Give your opinion on the topic and analyze the movie rather than just summarizing the content. Make use of persuasive words that would be helpful and appropriate to your readers.
Just 13.00 10.40/page , and you can get an custom-written academic paper according to your instructions
- Crime and Gangster
- Produced by…
- Directed by…
- The movie is expertly directed by…
- This movie is based on a book…
- Warm-hearted, appealing, fascinating
- The characters were very convincing because…
- Exceptional performance
- Fervently performed
- The performance of… in… is excellent
- Well-directed, amusing, exciting, boring, clichéd, confusing, entertaining, exciting, melodramatic, thrilling, unbelievable, surprising, full of tension
- The plot reaches a climax when…
- Develop a story
- Non-linear/fragmented narrative
- Full of unexpected plot twists
- One of the most unbelievable/entertaining moments in the film occurs when…
- A must-see/worth seeing/not to be missed/a smash hit/an impressive debut
- An emotional movie/it brought tears to my eyes
- A truly great/skillful piece of filmmaking
- I would definitely recommend this film to anyone who likes…
- On a scale from zero to five, I’d give this film a four because…
- I strongly/highly recommend watching this film because…
- If you like…, you shouldn’t miss this movie.
- I certainly wouldn’t recommend the film, and here’s why…
- Unfortunately, this movie is a complete waste of time because…
- I was impressed/surprised by…
👀 Film Critique Examples
Below you’ll find a downloadable movie critique example. Other samples can be found here:
- Selma: Historical Drama Film by Ava DuVernay
- Christian Symbolism and Imagery in “The Matrix” Film
- “The Morning Guy” Film Analysis
- “Night of the Living Dead” a Film by George Romero
- “Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope” by George Lucas
Movie Critique Example: Hitchcock’s North by Northwest
North by Northwest , directed by Alfred Hitchcock, is considered one of the most prominent films in cinematography. This spy thriller combines darkness and light typical for Hitchcock movies: witty humor, love story, suspense, and mortal danger harmoniously merge in this thriller (Longacre 75). Starring Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint, North by Northwest contains memorable acting performances, accentuating the director’s dexterity in creating suspense. North by Northwest is representative of Hitchcock’s entertaining talent, as it allows readers to escape into a world of international espionage thriving during the Cold War Era.
Movie Critique Essay Topics
- Review of the film The Corporation .
- Philosophical questions in Through a Glass Darkly by Ingmar Bergman.
- Discuss the symbolism in the film Hacksaw Ridge .
- Analyze the impersonation of Elizabeth Bennet by Keira Knightley in Pride and Prejudice (2005) .
- Evaluate the meaning of the setting in the movie Mean Girls by Mark Walters .
- Explore the similarities and differences of Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter movies.
- Describe the characters of Duke Bill’s Not Easily Broken .
- Analyze the rhetoric of the film Salt by Phillip Noyce .
- The importance of the teacher’s role in the movie Freedom Writers.
- Analyze the characters of the film The Green Mile .
- Social mobility and racial biases in Paul Haggis’s film Crash .
- Compare the semantic message of the movies West Side Story (1961) and Romeo + Juliet (1996).
- The role of sound and costume choice in the film Inception by Christopher Nolan .
- Examine the depiction of disproportionate female objectification in the documentary Miss Representation .
- Discuss the techniques Fellini uses to depict the paradoxes and contradictions of the real world in his film La Dolce Vita .
- The problem of selfhood and identity in the movie The Boy in The Striped Pajamas by Mark Herman.
- The core theme of Werner Fassbinder’s The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant .
- Analyze the film Erin Brockovich.
- The serious messages in the comedies Educating Rita and Small-Time Crooks .
- Describe the characters of The Wizard of Oz (1939).
- Discuss the similarities and differences of the events in the film The Crucible and the real history of Salem.
- Analyze the depiction of ethical dilemmas and emotional conflicts in the movie Juno .
- The peculiarities of Martin Scorsese’s film The Aviator .
- Allegory in Robert Redford’s film Lions for Lambs .
- Critique of the film Secret Window .
- The sociological significance of the Lone Survivor by Peter Berg .
- Describe the filmmaking techniques used in the documentary film The Interrupters .
- Analyze the significance of the opening scene of the Citizen Kane .
- Examine the main woman character of David Fincher’s film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo .
- Discuss the setting of Sleepy Hollow by Tim Burton .
- The main concepts of Christopher Nolan’s film Interstellar .
- Analytical critique of the movie Signs .
- Discuss the theme of the film Love, Simon by Greg Berlanti .
- Explore the major theme and objectives of Blood Diamond by Edward Zwick.
- The problem of choice in Gone Baby Gone by Ben Affleck .
- Describe the filmmaking techniques used to portray a historical period in The Patriot .
- Analyze the rhetorical strategies in Laurence Olivier’s film Henry V .
- Discuss the philosophy of the film Les Intouchables .
- The leading theme of Catch Me If You Can by Steven Spielberg .
- Analyze the movie Rear Window .
- Analyze the message of the film Home by Yann Arthus-Bertrand.
- The role of visuals in the movie My Family/ Mi Familia .
- Examine the rhetorical techniques used in Jordan Peele’s horror film Us .
- Split : movie critique.
- The importance of geography and landscapes in The Sound of Music by Robert Wise .
Now you can confidently claim that you know how to write a movie critique and even have a whole list of helpful vocabulary you can include. We hope that these tips were helpful and that your next critical paper about a movie will be a success. Be sure to check out our blog for more useful articles!
✏️ Movie Critique FAQ
A film critique is an extended opinion about a movie. It is typically made in the form of a paper, article, or essay. Such papers are usually highly rated when written by respected professionals in the field.
If you are writing any paper, it is always a good idea to begin with an outline. If you are writing an essay for college, make sure that you have a clear structure. A typical structure includes an introduction, a body, and a conclusion.
When criticizing any visual artwork, follow these 4 steps:
Identify a few aspects you want to focus on. It could be actors, music and sound, visual effects, plot peculiarities, etc.). Then, describe each point according to the four steps.
If you are focusing on an actor’s performance in a particular film, make sure that your judgments are based not on the appearance or personal prejudice. Try to make a relatively objective assessment.
- Merriam-Webster “Critique” Definition
- Structuring a Premise for Stronger Stories
- Merriam-Webster “Original” Definition
- Merriam-Webster “Motif” Definition
- Duke Writing Studio’s Film Review Guide
- Tips for Writing a Film Review
- How to Analyze a Movie: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Tips for Writing a Review
- Summary: Using it Wisely
- Share to Facebook
- Share to Twitter
- Share to LinkedIn
- Share to email
Really thought I should take out time to post this thanking you guys for this, been really really helpful.
Thank you so much for your kind words, Kay. It means so much for us!
This is great!! Many thanks.
Thanks for your feedback, Jules! Much appreciated.
The website іѕ really good, I love it!
Thanks for your kind words! We look forward to seeing you again!
Thank you, now I have an idea on how to start my college film critique essay on a silent film.
We are so glad to hear that! Thank you for your feedback, Leilani!
Thank you for this! Because now I have an idea of how to create a movie critic.
Glad to help, Alyssa!
Thank you for this! It’s very useful! Keep up the good work!
This is a greatt piece. It is well analysed and really helpful. Thank you.
Thank you for your kind words, Tomas 🙂
This was really helpful. Thanks for making the work much easier with your explanations on this write up.
I’m happy the article was useful for you, Lilian!
Thank you very much for this marvelous tips that surely will be a great help for me in making my own Movie Critique as an assignment. God Bless everyone.
Thank you for your kind words, Junabel! Glad you found the article helpful.
Recommended for You
Dengue Fever Essay: How to Write It Guide [2023 Update]
Dengue fever is a quite dangerous febrile disease that can even cause death. Nowadays, this disease can be found in the tropics and Africa. Brazil, Singapore, Taiwan, Indonesia, and India are also vulnerable to this disease.
How to Write a Personal Essay: Topics, Structure, & Examples
Even though a personal essay seems like something you might need to write only for your college application, people who graduated a while ago are asked to write it. Therefore, if you are a student, you might even want to save this article for later!
How to Write a 5-Paragraph Essay: Outline, Examples, & Writing Steps
If you wish a skill that would be helpful not just for middle school or high school, but also for college and university, it would be the skill of a five-paragraph essay. Despite its simple format, many students struggle with such assignments.
Good Book Report: How to Write & What to Include
Reading books is pleasurable and entertaining; writing about those books isn’t. Reading books is pleasurable, easy, and entertaining; writing about those books isn’t. However, learning how to write a book report is something that is commonly required in university. Fortunately, it isn’t as difficult as you might think. You’ll only...
Best Descriptive Essays: Examples & How-to Guide [+ Tips]
A descriptive essay is an academic paper that challenges a school or college student to describe something. It can be a person, a place, an object, a situation—anything an individual can depict in writing. The task is to show your abilities to communicate an experience in an essay format using...
How to Write an Analysis Essay: Examples + Writing Guide
An analysis / analytical essay is a standard assignment in college or university. You might be asked to conduct an in-depth analysis of a research paper, a report, a movie, a company, a book, or an event. In this article, you’ll find out how to write an analysis paper introduction,...
- Research Paper
- Book Report
- Book Review
- Research Proposal
- Annotated Bibliography
- Answers Questions
- Multiple Choice Questions
- Powerpoint Presentation
- Poster Presentation
- Excel Exercises
- Thesis Proposal
- Discussion Board Post
- Dissertation Abstract
- Dissertation Introduction
- Dissertation Literature
- Dissertation Hypothesis
- Dissertation Methodology
- Dissertation Results
- Dissertation Discussion
- Dissertation Conclusion
- Movie Critique
- Literary Essay
- Article Critique
- Article Review
- Blog Writing
- Capstone Project
- Movie Review
- Response Paper
- Marketing Plan
- Reaction Paper
- Business Plan
- Grant Proposal
- IB Extended Essay
- Application Letter
- Literature Review
- Motivation Letter
- Scholarship Essay
- White Paper
What Is a Critique Paper on a Movie?
When you watch a movie, most likely you think about its entertainment value, and not about a question, “What is a critique paper on a movie.” However, sometimes you have to go beyond the surface and find a deeper meaning to a story – e.g., writing a movie critique paper.
The process of a movie review involves focusing on the intentions of filmmakers, understanding the purpose of the characters, and even doing some additional research to gain more knowledge about a director or a producer as a way of explaining their reasons for making the movie. Of course, you should include a brief summary of the movie from the start all the way through the climax and conclusion but only to provide some context for the reader. Ultimately, the purpose of writing a movie critique paper is to argue the merits of the movie based on evidence.
As you are watching a movie, it is important to rewind in order to thoroughly examine scenes and dialogues. Take notes on the main points of the movie. Focus on acting of the characters. Do they help to enhance the enjoyment of the movie and drive the plot? Did the writers spend enough time on character development? Keep in mind that the lack of depth of a particular character is not always a flaw and does not mean they serve no purpose. In fact, there are cases in which a vaguely defined character has the only task – to throw a few punches or act as a punch line. As long as it helps to drive the movie, it is necessary.
Once you have watched the movie and identified all of the points that you want to critique, you should develop a thesis that you intend to defend using evidence from the movie itself. In this way, a movie critique is very much a type of an academic essay, as it has an introduction paragraph, thesis statement, body paragraphs with topic sentences, and a conclusion discussing the broader implications of your critique.
Unlike a movie review, writing a movie critique paper is not intended to persuade the audience to see (or not see) a film that has recently been released. Indeed, the focus of a movie critique can be a film that was released decades ago. Aside from focusing on the plot elements, you should discuss whether the movie has survived the test of time.
For instance, are there issues that still remain relevant today? With hindsight, could you argue contemporary responses to the movie were misguided? Or is the film actually not as good as it was claimed to be? Whatever the approach you choose, you should remain consistent. For example, if you intend to argue the movie serves as a groundbreaking example of art-house cinema, everything you analyze – the filmmaker, actors, or plot – should be examined within this context.
with code: newprime10
If you are a student with the following question in mind, “What is a movie critique paper?” you might find it to be a challenge, since it requires you to look at a movie in ways you might have never considered. Looking at critique essay examples might be a good way to get started, but they will not necessarily serve as models for your paper, since the focus of your critique (as well as the movie that you are examining) can be different. Here are three major difficulties that students experience when trying to write a critique:
- Challenge #1. Time. You have to sit down and watch a movie even when you have other obligations, such as writing research papers and preparing for tests. Sometimes, you have to go back and look through the chosen scenes several times in order to catch subtle things that you might not have noticed initially.
- Challenge #2. Disinterest in the film. When you start watching a movie, you hope that you will find it entertaining. If you do, great! If not, you can just stop watching and look for an alternative. However, you do not get this luxury when critiquing a movie as a homework assignment. It could be the most boring movie in the world, but you still have to try and remain engaged.
- Challenge #3. Lack of experience. Unlike professional writers, you probably have not written a lot of critique papers. As a result, you might not know what to look for. You will certainly struggle with the analysis that is required, and here, you can consult the summary critique essay examples or read our tips.
300 words per page instead of 280
Revision within 2 days (on demand)
Tips for Critique Paper Writing
When writing a movie critique paper, you have to consider its structure. The tips below will facilitate your writing process:
- Genre definition. You need to identify how the film relates to its genre
- Story assessment. You need to pay attention to such elements as the plot and techniques used by moviemakers to tell the story. You should also state whether the plot is consistent and logical, and whether it is attractive to its audience.
- Script analysis. You need to consider if dialogues are well developed, as well as if monologues are persuasive to the audience.
- Your thoughts. You should present your point of view about the movie when analyzing it to write a critique paper. For instance, mention what you liked about it and suggest ways for improvement.
- Vivid examples. You must support your discussion with examples, such as quotes from the movie, or lines from dialogues.
The tips above as well as some film critique examples will help you to create a successful paper. In case you have no time or motivation to write such papers, it will definitely be better to refer to professional help from our team of highly skilled writers.
Read Our Free Movie Critique Sample
Our Help with a Movie Critique
If you are having a hard time with your movie critique assignment, the solution is just a few clicks away. For an affordable price, the experts at PrimeEssays.com will prepare your movie critique papers. Here are just a few reasons why you should order a custom essay using our services :
- Original Content. The movie critique that you order will truly be one-of-a-kind. Even if the movie you have been assigned to critique has already been examined numerous times, your custom paper will never be written or explored in the exact same way. At the same time, your paper will be written based on your instructions and will not contain plagiarism.
- Talented Writers. The writer, who is selected to complete your movie critique paper, is guaranteed to have relevant skills and background to complete it. He or she will understand proper techniques that go into writing this type of assignment. The final paper will be delivered within the set deadline.
- A Great Quality Assurance Team. Every paper is proofread by our talented editors, who make sure that it is grammatically sound as well as contains proper language and follows the right structure.
Timely Delivery and 24/7 Support
A custom movie critique paper is exactly what you need when you struggle on your own. For a reasonable price , you can receive a perfectly written paper that meets all your requirements. Best of all, it will always be delivered according to your deadline. If you have such questions as “What is a critique paper on a movie?” feel free to contact our friendly customer care team available 24/7, and we will help to get you started on the track to academic success!
You may find these interesting:
Movie Review from Professionals Book Review Writing Writing Marketing Plan
- Aptitude Test
- Multiple Choice Test
- Presentation and Speech Writing
- Powerpoint Presentation Poster
- Dissertation chapter – Abstract
- Dissertation chapter – Hypothesis
- Dissertation chapter – Literature review
- Dissertation chapter – Methodology
- Dissertation chapter – Results
- Dissertation chapter – Conclusion
- Literary Analysis
- Blog Article
- Business Report
- Motivation Letter for the University of East Anglia
- User menu ✕
- Order now 1(888)484-2980 1(888)341-2058 Live chat
Tips on How to Write a Movie Critique
The one who wants to get an academic degree has to write all kinds of papers: from traditional essays and research works to lab reports and discussion board posts. Critical film review writing is also not an unusual task. Still, you can rarely find online questions such as: how to critique a film? Learners often treat this assignment carelessly, as it contains an element of entertainment – watching movies. However, this is more than a simple synopsis of the plot and description of the main characters. Read our article to learn what a movie critique is and how to write it correctly.
Many first-year students and even senior ones are confused with the difference between the critical film review and movie critique. Therefore, the main tip on how to write a movie critique properly is to clarify the difference between a review and critique of a film. It is pretty easy when you realize that a film review is a way to discuss the plot, summarize it, and express your final opinion. Meanwhile, a movie critique paper requires you to conduct an in-depth analysis, draw attention to the characters’ speech, stylistic devices, settings and backstage, the symbolism of the scenes and their dynamics , reasons for the applied sound and video effects, etc. If you realize these things and like the chosen film, you will have no questions on how to write a movie critique.
Still, if you struggle with your writing, you have two options. The first one is as follows: you can easily order a movie critique paper in one of the reliable writing companies, for example, Essaysleader.com. This agency will provide you with well-written academic papers for a decent price. You will reap the benefits of the skillfully written paper and receive a high grade. The second one lies in the fact that you can use the following free and efficient tips on how to critique a movie provided by our highly-professional experts and film critics. Of course, we highly encourage you to write a paper by yourself to improve your writing and critical thinking skills. These tips will definitely help you, so keep reading to find out more !
Seven Steps in Writing a Movie Critique
Few can answer precisely how to critique a movie since there are many various strategies and approaches nowadays. Therefore, we have gathered, analyzed, and summarized the most effective tips on how to write a movie critique easily and creatively.
- First and foremost, to write a movie critique it is recommended to watch the film before writing a paper. The main task is not just to enjoy watching the movie as we usually do it on Friday evenings yet to be attentive to the tiniest details, characters, and dialogs. In other words, we should note some things we like and dislike in the particular motion picture. Depending on the film, you will notice different things. Therefore, we cannot tell what exactly you should draw your attention to, but we can recommend you to write down everything that caught your attention . The best way not to miss anything is to follow your feelings. It will make your paper one hundred percent unique.
- How to critique a movie with regard to the so-called film structure? Similarly to the novel, each movie has a preface, central theme, climax, and narrative closure or outcome. It is highly significant to know and be able to distinguish the main elements of the film. Also, it is important to interpret them correctly . Thus, you will have a couple of words on the main aspects of each section.
- How to write a movie critique providing analysis of the main and minor characters? The film cannot exist without the variety of characters with diverse features. Usually, each of them can act like a positive or negative hero. M ore often than not, each character has a mixture of positive and negative traits . One of the critical tips on how to critique a movie is figure out the characteristics of each character and their role in this film. Even if it seems an unimportant or minor character, he or she may have a huge impact on the plot. Use some strategies on how to critique a movie character paying attention to the physical and psychological peculiarities.
- The next tip on how to write a movie critique is strongly related to the film actors, director, producer, release data, sound, and visual effects. Obviously, it is highly critical to observe each of these elements to realize the main idea of the film. Experts believe that analyzing all those things is the best tip on how to critique a movie in-depth. There are a few examples of why this strategy is efficient. Usually, a lot of films are dedicated to a particular event, date, or person, especially historical, documentary, etc. Realizing this director’s idea will definitely tell you a lot about the whole film. It provides you with a film skeleton you may use for further analysis. On the contrary, analyzing sound and visual effects helps you to describe what kind of emotions and feelings this film evokes. Also, the chosen cast of the film may tell you some hidden information and shed light on some interesting things that were not considered before.
- Do not retell the whole film and be concise – this is our next piece of advice on how to critique a movie. Provide only those examples which prove your arguments or assist in explaining a bigger idea or concept.
- Make up a strict paper plan and follow it. Use the film critique outline provided below as your tangible writing help, in case you have no additional instructions from your professor. In most cases, all academic papers consist of five main sections:
- General information about the film (director, title, data release), reasons you have chosen it (what attracts you), and your thesis, namely what problems or ideas you want to consider.
- Tell a few words about the film and describe its plot briefly.
- Include some details on settings, main film elements/characters, and movie type/style.
- Provide your readers with a deep analysis of all those things you consider significant for understanding the whole idea of the film. Use relevant examples and citations while writing your work. This will be your advantage.
- Come back to your thesis and make a summary based on analyzed arguments and facts. You should also provide your perspective and recommend the movie to a particular audience.
- Make sure that you do not need to use a completely different format. With advancements in technology such a non-traditional movie critique format as video essay appeared. This audio-visual form of communication presents one with unique opportunities to impress the audience. Here, sounds and images amplify the power of words, acting like a completely new instrument for passing information. You have the opportunity to make your argument using the filmmaker’s work and looking at it from a new perspective. One more advantage of the video essay is that it offers a possibility to show some scenes or objects that can speak for themselves. Meanwhile in a traditional critique paper the author has to describe the visuals. Of course, innovative ways to present your essay are rare guests in college and university programs. Still, it is good to know that there are such types of work like this one.
- The last but not the least word of advice is to edit your paper. Many students skip the proofreading and editing stage. Try to make your paper readable and attractive! This is the final tip on how to write a movie critique from our experts!
For more information on how to write a movie critique correctly and where to get help in critique writing, look at our article “ Movie Critique: Professional Guidelines “.
Of course, if you are short on time or have other deadlines, you may choose among the existing professional writing services: send your draft and they will help you to compose your paper while you have fun with your friends . Never give up! Good luck! Just do it!
You may find it interesting:
How to Write a Manga Script How to Write Your First Fantasy Novel Helpful Advice When You Need To Write an Interview Essay
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
In recent years, there’s been an undeniable global surge in the popularity of Japanese pop culture, and sitting at the heart...
Unmasking Shadows: What is an Anti-Hero? An Insightful Exploration The landscape of storytelling is studded with an intriguing par...
Disney Meets Anime: The Cross-Cultural Revolution in Animation The world of animation is a tapestry woven with vibrant colors, com...
As a student, you’ll frequently get tasks to write essays on a wide range of topics in various subjects. These essays are a ...
There are plenty of professions in the world that are worth people’s attention. Some experts are responsible for creating and desi...
Setting goals and objectives is particularly important for getting an appropriate education, developing a successful career, as we...
If you are going to apply to a college or university, you ought to be ready to work on an application essay. In many cases, profes...
Everyone needs a hero to look up to. Movies of various genres, comics, and even everyday situations give a lot of new heroes to fo...
Childhood is a special transition time, which forms our perception of the world, generates major habits, and creates inspiring rol...
Pop culture is rich in characters that make the audience feel sympathetic, interested, scared, or even angry. There are no cinema ...
- 3000 word essay
- 500 word essay
- Accounting essay
- Admission Essay
- Advanced writers
- Analytical essay
- Annotated bibliography
- APA citation style
- Application essay
- Argumentative essay topics
- Business writing
- Cause and effect essay
- Classification essay
- College application essay
- Common app essay
- Comparative essay
- Cover Letter Writing
- Deductive Essay
- Definition Essay
- Descriptive essay
- Descriptive vs. narrative
- Essay about yourself
- Essay Questions
- Essay review
- Exploratory Essay Writing Help
- Expository essay
- Five paragraph essay
- High school vs. college
- Informal essay
- Marketing essay
- Personal essay
- Mastering the Art of the Persuasive Essay: Your Ultimate Guide
- Problem solution essay
- Process essay
- Reflective essay
- Research Proposal
- Response Essay
- Scholarship Essay
- Summary writing tips
- Term paper
- Writing styles
- How to Write a Thesis Proposal
- Expert Advice on How to Write a Dissertation or Thesis
- Top Tips on Rewriting
- Excellent Tips on Revision
- Exam Questions: Understanding the Different Types
- Fifteen Great Tips for Proofreading
- Ideas for Creating an Effective PowerPoint Presentation
- Great Tips to Help You Succeed in Online Tests
- Ten Essential Rules for Creating Multi-Choice Questions
- Formatting Papers in Accepted Academic Style
- Steps to Improve Your Written Work
- What Every Student Must Know about Dissertation Writing
- Literature Review Writing
- How to Write an Exclusive Results Section for Your Dissertation
- Writing a Methodology Section of Your Dissertation
Some text in the modal.
- The Process
- Read Reviews
- Free Essays
- Affiliate Program
- Order now 1(877)219-7556
How to Write a Movie Critique Essay: Best Tips for Successful Writing
Often students confuse critique writing with review writing. Therefore, it is essential that one learn how to write a movie critique essay before starting working on this assignment. One of the core differences is that a movie review includes a viewer’s personal impression of the movie whereas a movie critique requires one to focus on the cinematographic means, such as analyze the film production and provide recommendations on what can be improved in order to attract a wider audience whatsoever. In case you encounter difficulties when writing a movie critique paper, you can rely on professional assistance from our company.
Our writing specialists will provide you with detailed and effective guidelines on how to write a movie critique essay in the best way. Even though it may seem easy, it is not, and you may really need help from professionals.
Steps to Writing a Movie Critique
- Start with finding out a definition to movie critique writing. The core purpose of critique writing is to provide insight into what could have been done better about the movie. As such, you are to highlight the weaknesses of the movie and pinpoint to the areas of improvement. If the movie is not popular with the general audience, please identify the reasons why it could have happened. Write not only about the plot and characters but focus also on the effects, music, and other aspects that are critical for the movie in general.
Among the general guidelines how to start a movie critique paper, make sure you do the following:
- pick a movie;
- highlight the issues and aspects you plan to discuss;
- be sure you have enough time to watch the movie for a few times. One time will not be sufficient as you should first watch for the general understanding and then watch more to grasp some specific issues and pay attention to the points that are worth attention. You will definitely spot some issues that you were not able to see for the first time;
- be sure to take notes while watching the movie;
- be as specific and detailed as possible;
- try to be objective and unbiased.
Remember that writing a critique does not mean criticizing and focusing only on negative aspects and expressing negative emotions. Therefore, do not delve into too much pessimism when providing a movie critique. If you focus merely on the negative aspects, your readers will not want to read your paper till the end. More so, they will never want to acquaint themselves with the film and with the director’s other works. Therefore, instead of focusing on the weaknesses, try to provide a sophisticated evaluation of the movie.
- Focus on the premises of writing a movie critique. Premises denote the background of the story. Provide the setting of the story pinpointing to all the important events that led to specific consequences or to the central event that is described in the movie. What should be done:
- analyze the main controversies or specifics about the plot;
- be sure to provide sufficient details about the premises so that the readers properly understand what the film is about.
Remember to provide specific examples from the film. They will serve as supporting evidence for proving your arguments. When you provide supporting evidence, your statements do not seem as mere suppositions.
- Move on to characterization of the movie. Particularly, you need to focus on the main characters, their role, interaction, personalities, behavior, beliefs, dialogues, etc. What should be done:
- Identify movie characters and pinpoint to their role in the movie.
- Pay attention to how the characters communicate, to the way they talk, dress, look, etc. Focus on their ways of interaction. What message do they convey to the viewer?
- The better you develop the movie characters, the more character-driven essay you will have.
- Make sure you explore the main motivation of characters that lies behind their dialogues and way of conduct.
Keep in mind that some movie characters will need a more serious and detailed analysis than others. Why? – Because different characters play a different role and function in the movie. So, first of all, pay attention to more impactful ones.
- Move on to the analysis of plot and overall movie organization. The movie plot refers to the actions and events that take place in the movie over a specific period of time. The organization of the movie denotes the way the movie parts relate to each other. Moreover, it can concern the general way the plot is developed. What should be done to analyze the plot successfully:
- State whether the plot is predictable or not.
- Analyze specific scenes in the film and their predictability. There are certainly scenes that are unpredictable. What is their role? What influence do they have on the further layout of events? Were there any shocking events? In what way have they impacted you?
- Keep in mind that the movie structure should have three parts: introduction of the main characters; discussing the gradual tension that arises in the story; and conclusion of the movie.
- Double-check whether the plot adheres to the motivation of the main characters.
- Before summing up the movie, be sure to pay attention to the point that reflects the story’s culmination.
When the plot is really unpredictable, try to look deeper into it. It often hides some philosophical issues. Therefore, try to examine the plot closely to get to core essence of the movie.
- Write about the dialogues in the movie. A dialogue refers to a conversation between at least two people. To analyze the dialogues, you should do the following:
- pay attention whether the dialogues sound natural;
- explore whether there is sufficient logical connection within the conversations.
To analyze and critique the dialogues, pay attention to the language, body language, pauses. Analyze their gestures and mimics and whether they correspond to what they say.
- Originality in the movie critique writing. If you are interested in how to write a movie critique essay, pay close consideration to originality of ideas and storylines. Originality is what can attract viewers to the story.
Originality in the movie can refer to everything that a viewer has never seen before. It can be a dialogue, a character, a setting, an idea, etc.
If certain original ideas or settings have been introduced to the movie, try to explain the reason that lies behind their adaptation. There should always be specific reasons why certain originality is introduced by the movie director.
- Scenes in the movie. A scene is a specific episode united by a single theme or message that is usually found within a larger work (i.e. a scene in a movie). Focus on the following:
- Analyze the overall quality of scenes (how well they are played by the film’s actors, etc.).
- Pay attention to their way of development (whether they are logically and smoothly developed within the film).
- Identify the chain that should be formed between all scenes to organize a single dramatic unit.
- Explore whether there is conflict in the story and how characters interact within it.
Follow each scene and identify similarities and differences. Pay attention to the transitions between the scenes. Make sure you do not lose any of the important transitions between the scenes.
- Visual presentation of the movie critique. It encompasses the way characters interact with each other. While analyzing their mode of interaction, also consider the setting and the main storyline. Normally, the interaction is manifested in the form of dialogue. Guidelines on how to analyze the visual presentation:
- Identify which motif is communicated across by the movie scene.
- Pay attention to how much interaction there is in the story.
The best recommendation on this point of writing is to provide as many examples as possible.
- Movie critique structure. Overall, the structure is the same as in the essay. How to organize the movie critique in the best way:
- Provide an introductory paragraph. Here you need to provide background information about the movie, summarize the plot, formulate a strong and clear thesis statement, and inform your readers what you will focus on in the critique.
- Make sure the main body comprises of well-organized body paragraphs. Start each body paragraph with a topic sentence and clearly examine the points raised in the movie.
- End the critique with a conclusion, where you sum up the main ideas and address each question on the essay prompt.
Read your paper from the beginning to pay attention to the aspects addressed there. Pay attention to editing and proofreading. Particularly, eliminate grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes, as well as typos. You should care not only about impeccable structure but also outstanding mechanics.
Before you start your paper, be sure to look through some paper samples of movie critique.
- Useful words and phrases for critique writing. Once you have got familiar with the core elements of a movie critique paper, learn how to present the information in the comprehensible and outstanding way. Try to make your writing style impressive and interesting for reading.
- Express your opinion on the given topic and analyze the movie (instead of merely focusing on summarizing the plot).
- Use effective vocabulary that is understandable for your target readers.
- Express your standpoint in a clear way. Be as objective as possible and avoid biased opinions.
- Pay consideration when it comes to special vocabulary used in the movie. Analyze its purpose.
Buy Movie Critique Essay and Receive High Grades
A movie critique essay we write for you goes through all stages of academic writing. We conduct thorough research on your topic, develop key ideas, make the first draft, format, edit and proofread the final copy of your essay. We create movie critique essays online that represent your complete understanding of the subject.
Moreover, we ensure that every essay is checked for authenticity, compliance with its requirements, writing flow, usage of grammar by our experts. When the check is done, the essay is sent to the customer. If you buy movie critique essays online you can be sure that you will get error free cheap work since we do our job perfectly. We create movie critique essays that will really impress your tutors.
Now you know how to provide an efficient movie critique. However, if you still face some difficulties, feel free to address our movie critique essay service for professional assistance. Our writers are always ready to help you with any movie critique assignment.
- Academic Writing Services
- Book Report Writing Service
- Book Review Writing Service
- Buy Literature Review Online
- Buy Movie Review Help
- Movie Critique Essay
- Buy Custom Coursework Online
- Article Writing Format Guide
- Article Review Writing Service
- Article Critique Writing
- Writing a Critique of a Novel
- Buy Discussion Board Post
- Buy a Letter Writing Paper Online
- Buy Scholarship Essays
- Annotated Bibliography Writing
- Lab Report Writing
- Buy Business Report
- White Paper Writing Services
- Memo Writing Effective Tips
- Buy Memorandum
- Summary and Response Essay
- Write My Response Essay
- Reaction Paper Academic Writing
- Case Study Writing Service
- Writing Case Brief
- Buy Capstone Project
- Technical Blog Writing
- Cheap Term Paper
- Law Essay Writing Service
- Personal Narrative Essay
- Application Essay Writing
- Critical Analysis Essay
- IB Extended Essay Writing Service
- Buy College Essay Outline
- Exam Questions and Answers
- Online Exams and Quizzes
- Multiple Choice Questions Help
- Answers Questions
- How to Write an Interview
- Speech and Presentation Writing
- Custom Powerpoint Presentation
- Science Poster Presentation
- Formatting Service
- Best Essay Editing Service
- Professional Rewriting Service
- Best Online Proofreading Service
- Buy a Dissertation Discussion
- Thesis Dissertation Chapter
- Written Essays
- Custom Papers
- Custom Writing Services
- Paper Writer
- Reflective Essay Writing Service
- Vip Service
- Additional Services
- Delivery Policy
- Fair use Policy
- 1(877)219-7556 1(877)733-3925
Fully unique works only
Your privacy is our concern
Writing that is plagiarism free
Writing that are plagiarism free
How to write a movie critique
Writing film critique essay is a task that few students can successfully complete. However, it is still more interesting and much more enjoyable than, for example, writing a research paper or a capstone project. Just imagine what a great thing it is when you watch a nice movie and then discuss it in writing. The whole situation becomes even more pleasant when your professor gives you some freedom to choose a movie you want to write about.
However, whenever you need to write a film critique essay, mind its contents and structure. It is not simply about sharing some random thoughts. A perfect movie critique essay will be properly structured. It will be logical and persuasive. Moreover, it may take some time for you to understand the purpose and meaning of cinematic and literary devices used in movies. Your task is to go beyond the obvious facts and see the hidden message. You must articulate this message to your audience in ways that create a clear picture of the movie, its purpose, as well as its strengths and weaknesses.
Custom essay writing service bestwritingservice.com
Writing a movie critique paper
Writing movie critique essay may seem difficult. Even the best students can stumble when they see the movie critique task. However, you can follow several simple steps to produce a brilliant movie critique paper. Just make sure that you follow a proper structure and incorporate the basic components of effective academic writing into your work.
This is the first step you should make to produce a perfect movie critique paper. As you keep watching it, try to understand its meaning and purpose. Make notes. Remember the most meaningful passages. Explore the plot beyond the movie. Look deeper into the way the movie extends the logic of the book or scenario that the director was following. Note the things that you like or do not like about the movie. You will discuss them in detail while working on your movie critique paper.
Determine the key components or cinematographic elements used in the movie. It is about defining the main theme and discussing its implications for the target audience. You cannot move ahead without understanding the theme, because it is the core component of any film critique structure. For example, racism and discrimination are the priority themes in your movie, which are further associated with the themes of loneliness and hostility. Once you define the theme of your movie, you will also need to determine its purpose, genre, and point of view. You will need to evaluate how these components fit together to create a coherent picture on the screen. Writing movie critique essay will be easier if you follow the recommendations provided in our blog.
In the process of watching the movie you will need to write down the names of all main characters. Note their behaviors and cite the most important phrases. Also, do not underestimate the importance of setting. It will help your reader understand your characters and the roles they play in the movie. For example, if the action is taking place in a natural environment, it will impact the meaning of words and sentences. In case of any problem, please review our movie paper samples or order a brilliant movie essay today.
Director and actors working as one team – pay more attention to them. When you are writing movie critique essay, you will have to look beyond the scene. Try to understand what each member of the cinematographic team did to create the movie and how each member of the team contributed to the final result. For example, if you are writing about a fantastic movie, include a brief discussion of animation and make up that were used to create a realistic picture of each event.
Outline the plot and development of the story. Now you are ready to describe and evaluate the story line. Firstly, pay attention to the main events during the movie. How do they shape your understanding of the movie’s theme and purpose? Then consider if the story line is logical and consistent to produce a positive and lasting impression on the target audience.
Now you can start writing your movie paper. Bring together the information and analysis that you did for each of above steps and create an outline for your paper. A good film critique example will give you a good understanding of the way your own movie essay might look when you finish the first draft. In fact, you can use the most basic five-paragraph academic structure for your movie essay. At the same time, make sure that you have consulted the instructions and recommendations given by your instructor.
Finally, you can edit the draft of your movie critique paper to make it perfect. Never submit the first draft of your paper for grading. You will never earn the highest mark for your paper if you do not spend some time addressing errors and logical inconsistencies. The first draft is never perfect. The best you can do is putting away your draft and taking some time away from writing. Then you can get back to your paper with fresh eyes and an open mind. Look for the tiniest inconsistencies and eliminate them.
Film critique essay sample to read for free
Download PDF Sample
Writing film critique essay is a task that few students can successfully complete. However, it is still more interesting and much more enjoyable than, for example, writing a research pape...
Some text in the modal.
- Free Samples
- Premium Essays
- Editing Services Editing Proofreading Rewriting
- Extra Tools Essay Topic Generator Thesis Generator Citation Generator GPA Calculator Study Guides Donate Paper
- Essay Writing Help
- About Us About Us Testimonials FAQ
- Clash of the Titans Movie
Clash of the Titans Movie - Essay Example
- Subject: History
- Type: Essay
- Level: Masters
- Pages: 2 (500 words)
- Downloads: 53
- Author: freedahilpert
Extract of sample "Clash of the Titans Movie"
The story largely details the quest of Perseus, the son of Zeus, who is on a mission to kill an ancient sea monster by the name of Kraken. Perseus is set to marry the beautiful princess Andromeda but she is to be sacrificed to the sea monster. Perseus must prevent this by killing the sea monster in time. At the same time, Perseus's father feuds with goddess Thetis and the rivalry is full-blown. Still, Perseus must proceed with his mission despite the numerous challenges that stand in his way. He faces a myriad of various creatures which he must slay to survive. Medusa is one creature that Perseus must locate and kill. The gaze of the creature can turn Kraken into stone and hinder his chances of saving Andromeda. He must kill each beast and handle the delicate capture of Andromeda wisely so that he can save her alive (Canby, 1981).
The film does not have characters based on real people. Instead, the characters are made up to reflect the constituents reflected in Greek mythology. This is why the film falls under the fantasy genre. The characters are imaginative and the events portrayed are highly unlikely to transpire in the real life. The character's potential and the nature of events transcend the laws of physics and exceed the ability of humans. The director’s use of no real characters and events squarely fits the elements of mythology.
The film is set in ancient Greece. There is no apparent use of real locations but instead, the director chooses to make a representation of various critical locations. Such include Mount Olympus which formed the home of the Greek gods, the city of Joppa which was the residence of Princess Andromeda, and the island of Seriphos where Perseus grew up. The representation was done well to complement the fantasy element of the mythology. It is possible that the director did not use real locations because the story itself is not real. The applied special effects were not up to standard. A lot better in that field could have been necessary to give the film’s audience a better experience.
The movie entails great work by both the actors and the director. The execution of the plot by the actors was exceptional. The director also chooses the speed of the film wisely to keep the audience interested by not moving too slowly or too fast. Those are the major strengths of the movies. The major weakness lies in the shaky camerawork and the 3D presentation which is not very effective. If the filmmakers did better in their camerawork and improved the visual effects, this movie would be much better. Overall, this film is worth watching for its fascinating plot. It is recommendable, especially for an audience that loves Greek mythology. It would also appeal to first-timers in fantasy action.
- Cited: 8 times
- Copy Citation Citation is copied Copy Citation Citation is copied Copy Citation Citation is copied
CHECK THESE SAMPLES OF Clash of the Titans Movie
Great depression in usa, cgi compromising good filmmaking, greek mythological subject-matter, interpretation of the film like water for chocolate, harry bridges as the titan of labor, why i hate 3-d summarize, the clash of the titans. soviet-american rivalry, leadership film analysis - remember the titans.
- TERMS & CONDITIONS
- COOKIES POLICY
Expert Help with Movie Critique Writing
Table of Contents
- Check the Price for a Movie Critique
What Is a Movie Critique?
Top tips on creating a movie critique essay, the keys to writing a film critique essay of high quality, writing a movie critique essay: the questions each writer should answer, our writing team, our highest priority – providing unique and original content, how to order a movie critique, ordering papers from us is easy, the benefits of getting movie critique essay help, customer feedback on the delivered movie critiques.
A successful movie critique is an informative and complete review of a particular movie. Movie review writing is something an art form. The writer needs patience and understanding in order to provide a bias-free opinion regarding a movie. The primary purpose of a critique is to provide readers with sufficient information about a movie to enable them to decide if they should watch it or not. Do you know how to critique a movie and write an effective movie critique essay ?
Those who know how to write a film critique paper understand that it requires immersing yourself in the movie, paying attention to the subtle details, and understanding how to analyze a film in the context of the genre as a whole or based on the contemporary thought of the time. In other words, writing a film critique is a real challenge that few students are capable of handling. Fortunately, the professionals at Fresh-Essay.com know exactly how to write a film analysis that gets you the grades you need, and can provide you with effective tips and tricks that will definitely help you write a solid, successful and catchy movie critique essay.
Calculate the cost of essay
Movie critique is an informative review of a certain movie. Writing a movie critique essay requires person’s understanding, commitment, patience, as well as unbiased opinion regarding the chosen movie or film. The main idea of a decent movie critique paper is to give future readers some piece of info about the film, so that they can take a decision for themselves whether to see it or not.
Writing a movie critique, the author is supposed to include a piece of evidence or details regarding what the movie is about, his/ her assessment of the success or failure of this film, based on the data gathered. Therefore, it is more than a movie synopsis of the film / movie. For the author, a movie critique writing implies presenting his/her personal considerations, points of view or opinions about the movie based on the pleasure, interest, frustration, disgust, surprise, disappointment, or any other kinds of emotions or feelings that this piece of art evokes.
Writing a movie critique means to offer your insight and opinion on what was wrong with the movie and what made it special/interesting and intriguing to watch. There’s always something you like about movies and something you don’t: you may think that the plot was good, but the special effects were horrible – think about all of the possible film production stages and try to look at all of them critically.
The general guidelines on how to write a film critique essay are as follows:
- Choose a film.
- Specify the points and issues you are going to analyze and discuss in your essay.
- Watch the film several times: first time – to get a general idea of it; second time – to pay attention to the points that come into your sphere of interest and/or to note the details you weren’t able to notice the first time.
- Take notes while watching.
- Try to be objective
- Try to be specific.
Try our top 30 writers
Benefit from the incredible opportunity at a very reasonable price
Writing an effective movie critique essay means learning what information to include and at what stages to include it.
- Make a note of all critical facts and important moments in the movie as you watch it. Name the main actors and key performers, the movie producer, and its director. Describe also these three key stages of the storyline’s development: the story’s beginning, its climax, and its ending.
- Review your notes before you start writing and select important parts to highlight.
- A good movie critique also means identifying the readers your writing is aimed at. Choose a tone to suit your intended audience.
- Start your critique in a way that grabs readers’ attention. This could mean recalling an important moment or referring to a memorable quote from the movie.
- Refer to some of the movie’s most important players, which may mean the director, producer, or actors. If readers notice a familiar name, it is more probable they will continue reading. You should also mention the movie’s title in full. Once you have covered these aspects, the introductory paragraph is complete.
- The next stage in writing a movie critique is to create the middle or body section (usually comprised of one to three paragraphs), and here you should describe the movie’s basic storyline. Draw attention to important scenes and how characters develop.
- Talk about the movie’s climax in the body paragraphs. However, you should not reveal too much of the story.
- End your movie critique essay by offering your own opinion. As well as wanting to know your opinion, readers will want to know why you formed those opinions, so set out your reasons for thinking a movie is good or bad.
Every film critique has a similar structure: an introductory section, a main body, and a concluding section, to include a thesis sentence. A clearly-written thesis statement lets readers know what the critique will cover.
Professors tend to give students film critique assignments for two primary reasons. Firstly, it enables professors to see if students understand the subject and how attentive they are. Secondly, it allows professors to see if students are able to form a well-reasoned opinion and a sound argument against or in favor of the movie.
The movie critique help provided above is designed to make it easier for students to complete their assignments. Yet, if it is the case you still feel that critique writing is not for you, feel free to contact Fresh-Essay.com. Our company would be delighted to welcome you as a customer. We would like to introduce the main features of our writing service to you.
Earn 10% from all orders made by people you
Your people also get a 17% discount on their first order
If you are facing the need to compose a critical review of some film for your class, you need to know the basics of dealing with this type of tasks. First, you should realize that writing such paper demands your focused attention during film watching, so it is nothing like the leisure movie nights you are used to. Second, retelling the plot is not about a critique, but rather about a general analysis of the movie in general and its ideas in specific. Finally, your writing needs to correspond to the requirements of your instructor and comply with referencing and formatting rules of your college. Besides, it is needless to mention how important the absence of plagiarism is, as everyone knows, how dangerous the copied parts of writing are for one’s academic career.
Apart from these ground rules, here are some secrets that can help you to make your paper more efficient:
- It is often a good idea to watch the movie once and then do it again after a few days, to get a fresh perception and notice new subtle aspects;
- While watching, take notes about your impressions and emotions, and mention them later in your paper;
- Try to decode the author’s messages behind the story: what did they want to convey? What did the author want the viewers to feel? Did he managed to achieve this effect?
- Do not retell the plot: too many details do not work for you in this type of assignment;
- Before writing, make some research about the film creation: it often reveals interesting details and facts and explains the tools that the director has used;
- Analyze the film genre and how it corresponds to the frame of this genre. Provide the list of the features that have helped you put this piece of art in a certain category.
- Illustrate your paper with quotations from the movie: they will prop up your arguments in the essay;
- Provide your personal opinion about everything in the film: a critique is not a paper where you can stay neutral, so do not be afraid to show your feelings and emotions.
After you read a bunch of articles on how to write a film critique essay it might still be challenging for you to create a powerful and convincing paper. If you experience a writer’s block and do not know where to start, ask yourself the following questions:
- Is this a movie adaptation of a book, an original story or true story? In case this is an adaptation, how effectively does it convey the original idea?
- Are there unique characters in the movie?
- Was the cast choice successful?
- What is the central theme of the movie?
- Were the locations suitable for the story?
- Does the music help set the appropriate mood?
- How effective or ineffective is the cinematography in general and the movie in particular?
- Which character is the most impressive?
- Did the filmmakers use any notable technology?
Try our VIP Support
The hiring procedures we use are very strict, with the primary aim of growing our existing team by continuing to add well-educated and professional writers capable of providing the best writing assistance in our marketplace. Every editor and writer in our team has an advanced degree (a Master’s or a PhD) and each one has sufficient experience to help customers in a range of subjects, including arts, humanities, sciences, and technology. We have the skills to complete virtually every type of essay, lab report, case study, research paper, and several other assignment types. Each writer in our team is an expert in his or her chosen field, they follow instructions, and always meet deadlines.
We realize that providing you with papers that are original is extremely important and we make sure there is never any plagiarism in our custom-written essays. Rest assured you will get a freshly written paper from us. Any ideas we borrow from other writers or scholars are accurately cited. Every piece of research undertaken by our competent writers is taken from authentic and reliable sources. We do not copy material from papers we have already written and use it in new orders.
- Complete the form provided on our orders page. Let us have accurate instructions including topic, academic level, number of words, line spacing, style, deadline, and so on.
- Make payment. Our company accepts all main credit and debit cards. We also accept PayPal.
- We will send you a letter confirming your order.
- We will then assign a suitably qualified writer with experience in an appropriate field. Rest assured this writer will strictly follow the instructions you provide.
- When we have written your critique paper, we will scan it for possible plagiarism using reliable detection software. If you order a respective option, our agents can include a plagiarism report in your order as proof of authenticity.
- Your critique paper can then be downloaded via your Fresh-Essay.com or we can email it to you (just ask our customer services team).
If you are having a hard time with your assignment, the solution is only a few clicks away. Here are just a few reasons why you should buy a movie critique essay using our services:
- Skilled and talented writers. Only the most adept writers are accepted to work at Fresh-Essay.com, and they can certainly provide you with a premium-quality paper written according to the highest standards of academic writing.
- Timely delivery. It is understandable that some students lack time to prepare a paper of decent quality within the required deadline, due to the busy schedule they have. In the conditions of urgent tasks and learning challenges, the best decision is to get movie critique essay help at Fresh-Essay.com. With our assistance, you will pass your paper on time, and it will impress the instructor with its masterfulness and sophistication.
- Any topic, any subject. Whatever department you are at, whatever discipline and topic you are dealing with, we will be able to provide a professional writing service to you. The writer, who is selected to complete your movie critique paper, is guaranteed to have the relevant skills and background to complete it. He or she will understand the proper techniques that go into writing this type of assignment.
- Individual approach. Every paper we compose is absolutely original and written specifically for every customer. No part of the paper will be copied, as we pay a special attention to the uniqueness of the ideas. The content of the work will be based exactly on the instructions you provide, which means it will be appreciated by your professor, which will be reflected in your grades.
- Moderate prices. We set reasonable and student-friendly prices for our services. For an affordable price, you can receive a perfectly written paper that meets all your requirements.
- Round-the-clock customer support. Our professional agents are always there to answer any question you may have. Thus, if you have questions like “What is a critique paper on a movie?” feel free to contact our friendly customer care team available 24/7, and they will help you get started on the track to academic success!
So, as can be seen, it is very easy to get film critique assistance from Fresh-Essay.com. We do everything possible to ensure you overcome academic writing problems easily and obtain excellent results. Do not hesitate to get in touch with our customer services team if you have questions. Our representatives are on hand 24/7 and will be happy to deal with your concerns and requests.
Get 15% OFF
your 1st order
Use code first15
Coherent Cookies Policy: our aim is customer satisfaction! We guarantee complete security, fully customized content and perfect services. Read more »
Film Critique Essay
Red Tails: a Film Critique
Red Tails: A Film Critique Robert Black ENG 225 Introduction to Film Instructor: Dwight Paulsen October 14, 2012 “We have a right to fight for our country. The same as every other American.” Colonel A.J. Bullard (Imdb , 2012) The film I picked for my critique is Red Tails, a historical World War II drama. The movie starred Cuba Gooding Jr., Terrence Howard and Gerald Mcraney, was written by John
Week 5- Final Film Critique
Week 5 – Final Film Critique Byron Phillips ENG 225 Introduction to Film Instructor Hayes 11 May 2015 FINAL FILM CRITIQUE There’s no doubt that Star Wars is one of the most impactful films of all time, having changed the movie-making game ever since it premiered in 1977. It quickly became a global phenomenon and has accumulated some of the most passionate fans in the universe. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope is a great example to use in order to illustrate the properties discussed throughout
Example Of Visual Art Critique
Visual Art Critique For my visual art critique, I attend the Texas State University Wittliff Collections on Tuesday, October tenth. During my visit I viewed works of art from the Lonesome Dove collection. The first piece of work I critiques was the photograph “Crossing the Rio Grande” taken by Bill Wittliff. This photo was taken on the set of the Lonesome Dove in 1988. What stood out to me was the significance of how real this photo is. So many slaves have tried to cross this river to escape persecution
Film Critique Of Spike Lee's 'Malcolm X'
Spike Lee 1992 Film Critique 3 Spike Lee's "Malcolm X" celebrates an American life that began in sorrow and bottomed out in prison before the hero reinvented himself. Watching the film, I understood more clearly that people really do have the power to change their own lives, how fate does not deal all of the cards, and that we have strength within us to be the change that the world needs - we don’t always have to rely on a hero to come along, we can be that hero ourselves.. The film is both inspirational
Film Critique - Ned Kelly & Gallipoli Essay
Many Australian films explore the concept of ‘overcoming adversity’, common to films from many countries but they explore it in a manner unique to Australia and embrace the ‘Aussie Battler’ or ‘Aussie Hero’ icon. The films Gallipoli (Directed by Peter Weir - 1981) and Ned Kelly (Directed by Gregor Jordan - 2003) are two good examples of this. Both films show evidence of characters overcoming adversities throughout their stories. The following will analyse each film and explore the concept by looking
Capitalism In Death Of A Salesman
According to Merriam Webster, the American Dream is “a happy way of living… that can be achieved by anyone… by working hard and becoming successful.” Arthur Miller’s play Death of a Salesman critiques this ideology through the outcome of Willy’s life and in light of Karl Marx’s ideas in Alienation. One way Miller critiques the American Dream is through Marx’s idea of proprietors and propertyless. Marx states in Alienated Labor that “the whole society is divided into two classes of proprietors and propertyless”
Feminism In Desiree's Baby
identity during a historical period of time through Desiree’s character. Derek Foster and Kris LeJeune's critique, focusing on the feminist standpoint of Desiree’s Baby, attempts to demonstrates how Desiree’s act to flee into the bayou is her first accomplishment of independence. Desiree’s Baby is a short story written in the late 1800’s encompassing the issues of
Eng 225 Week 5 Film Critique Final Paper
ENG 225 Week 5 Film Critique Final Paper Click Link Below To Buy: http://hwcampus.com/shop/eng-225/eng-225-week-5-film-critique-final-paper/ Or Visit www.hwcampus.com ENG 225 Week 5 Film Critique Final Paper Focus of the Final Film Critique Throughout this course, you have been compiling a blog and writing essays that analyze various elements of film such as theme, cinematic techniques, and genre. It is now time to combine those elements into a comprehensive analysis of one movie
Film Critique (the Blind Side)
Week Five Individual Film Critique Neil A. Burgheimer HUM/150 Week Five Individual Film Critique This week for the final film critique I chose to review The Blind Side (2009). In this film Sandra Bullock plays Leigh Anne Tuohy, a successful interior designer. Her husband Sean Tuohy played by Tim McGraw is the owner of over 85 fast food franchises including Taco Bell, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Pizza Hut, and Long John Silver’s. In the film Leigh Anne takes a boy named Michael “Big Mike” Oher into
The Critique Of The Film Casablanca
Award winning film Casablanca is a 1942 American romantic drama film directed by Michael Curtiz a well known director for his wonderful production. The film finished with a rating of 8.5/10 on IMDb, 97% on Rotten Tomatoes and 100% Metacritic. Dispite the film being made up of uncertainty and drama, it was completed on August 3rd 1942 and released in the United-States on January 23rd 1943. Before naming the film Casablanca it was named Everybody comes to Ricks which was an unproduced film by Murray Burnett
- Film Director Essay
- Film Genre Essay
- Film Industry Essay
- Film Noir Essay
- Film Techniques Essay
- Final Essay
- Essay on Finance
- Financial Aid Essay Sample
- Financial Analysis Essay
- Financial Crisis Essay