- Online Degree Explore Bachelor’s & Master’s degrees
- MasterTrack™ Earn credit towards a Master’s degree
- University Certificates Advance your career with graduate-level learning
- Top Courses
- Join for Free
What Does a Graphic Designer Do? And How Do I Become One?
A graphic designer creates visuals for all kinds of projects, from websites to print ads. Learn about skills, salary, requirements, and why you should consider a career in this field.
Leer en español. (Read in Spanish.)
Graphic design combines art and technology and graphic designers use a variety of design elements and techniques to create distinctive visuals for clients and companies. A graphic designer can work with print or digital media, and designs can be accomplished by hand or using computer software. Staying on top of cutting-edge technology and design trends makes working in this evolving industry an exciting and challenging career choice.
What does a graphic designer do?
A graphic designer creates useful, meaningful, and functional visuals using various means of technology. The work depends largely on a client's or company's needs, but general designer responsibilities may include:
Developing visual assets to support a marketing campaign
Designing a graphic overlay for social media posts
Formalizing the layout for a print ad
Creating company logos
Retouching photos for digital signage
What is graphic design?
Graphic design is a form of communication that uses colors, shapes, images, and words to create visual content that surrounds us in many forms—namely, print and digital media. Effective designs communicate information in a way that inspires and informs consumers, making it a critical element for any business' success.
Graphic designers create images and layouts for some of the following:
Company brand identity (logos, typography, and color palettes)
User interfaces on apps and websites
Books, magazines, newspapers, and other publications
Advertisements and commercials
Signage for stores, transportation, stadiums, and event spaces
Where do graphic designers work?
Since graphic designers can work in many settings, your tasks and responsibilities may vary. You may work in-house at a company or agency, or at home as a freelancer. Graphic designers often work in:
Web design firms
Print and online publishers
Online and brick-and-mortar retailers
Read more: Graphic Design Jobs: Guide
Skills needed to become a graphic designer: A to Z
If you’re naturally creative and have a good eye for visually compelling design, a career in graphic design may suit you well. Nurture your talent as a graphic designer by spending time building a few key skills.
Audience targeting helps you identify and analyze who the design is intended to appeal to and why.
Color theory is a series of rules and guidelines you’ll apply to your work to create aesthetically pleasing visuals. This involves choosing an appropriate color palette for a project and understanding how people perceive color in various situations.
Communication skills help you communicate, actively listen, problem-solve, and understand what clients and other stakeholders need when collaborating on a project.
Computer-aided design (CAD) software help you create complex two- and three-dimensional designs. Some of the computer software programs used in graphic design include Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Paintshop Pro, and Corel Graphics Suite.
Computerized sketching gives you creative flexibility that sketching and coloring by hand cannot offer. Sketching software also allows you to quickly implement changes to a design.
Layout helps you to effectively manipulate the visual space of a print page or screen to attract readers or visitors.
Typeface design helps you tell appropriate, pleasing, and easy-to-read stories by using the right categories of font and typeface.
Website development gives you the knowledge to design on various content management platforms. Although it may not always be necessary, an understanding of multiple programming languages, such as HTML and CSS, can also go far.
Read more: What Is Responsive Web Design? And How to Get Started
Why pursue a career in graphic design?
When you pursue a career in graphic design, you get to flex your creative skills and put them to use while you learn and implement new technologies in your work. If you want to have a critical hand in shaping how a company, brand, or product comes across to the world, it’s worth pursuing a career in graphic design.
How much do graphic designers make?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual salary for graphic designers is $50,710 as of 2021, or $24.38 per hour [ 1 ]. Those working in advertising and public relations tended to earn on the higher end of the pay scale.
Job outlook for graphic designers
As with many creative fields, the job outlook for graphic designers is highly competitive. The BLS predicts that there will be a 3 percent increase in the need for graphic designers from 2021 to 2031. This is slower-than-average growth due in part to the decline in design jobs at newspapers, magazines, and traditional print publishing companies, balanced by an increase in the digital presence of companies. Demand for online design is projected to increase, according to market research company IBISWorld [ 2 ].
How to become a graphic designer
If you're ready to pursue a career in graphic design, follow the steps below to streamline your process:
1. Get a graphic design education.
According to Zippia's analysis of over 120,000 graphic designer resumes, 68 percent of graphic designers have a bachelor’s degree , while 23 percent have an associate's degree [ 3 ]. Earning a graphic design degree (or degree in a related field) helps you build foundational career knowledge and gives you opportunities to begin building a portfolio of work to show potential employers.
Look for programs accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. Coursework in these programs generally includes principles of design, computerized design, printing techniques, studio art, and website design.
2. Gain exposure to the field.
While enrolled in a design program, be sure to build relevant skills to make yourself more competitive when you’re job-hunting for a graphic design position, including:
Getting an internship and working with more experienced designers in a real-world setting
Volunteering your design skills to local charitable organizations
Taking courses on specific graphic design topics, such as the University of Sydney's Innovation through Design course or Google's UX Design professional certificate .
Pursuing certification in popular graphic design products like Adobe.
Joining a design organization. Membership often comes with access to networking and professional development opportunities. You can join the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) at different levels, including student, emerging, professional, leader, or educator.
Glossary of graphic design terms
CMYK: A color model typically used in print visuals that stands for the four colors used in ink plates: cyan, magenta, yellow, and key (black)
Hex code: A six-digit HTML code that represents a color used in a computer design program
Infographic: A visual representation of data designed to present information clearly and efficiently
JPEG: A format for compressing graphic image files
Mood board: A collection of images and texts that communicates a project or brand’s overall aesthetic messaging
PPI: Pixels per inch, an important term that measures the density of pixels on the screens of various devices to determine resolution
Resolution: The amount of detail an image or digital display can show measured in dots per inch (printed image) or pixels per inch (digital image)
Typography: The manipulation of the style and appearance of printed or digital matter so it is legible, readable, appropriate, and aesthetically pleasing
User interface (UI) design: The design of interfaces in software, apps, websites, or computer devices to maximize their usability
Vector image: A graphic file built by points on a grid that can be adjusted without losing resolution
3. Hone your graphic design skills.
While completing a degree and gaining exposure to the field of graphic design, be sure to hone skills that employers look for in a graphic designer. For example, Zippia's resume data show that the most-referenced skill among graphic designers is Adobe Creative Cloud . Other top skills include typography, brochures, and PowerPoint [ 4 ].
Read more: Graphic Design Software: What it Is and How to Choose one
Two effective ways to up-to-date on the skills that in-demand include:
Research career sites like Zippia, Glassdoor, and Indeed, and reading job descriptions.
Watching for trends through graphic design news hubs, like WIRED , PrintMag , and Graphic Design USA . Through sites like these, you can discover such happenings as the use of graphic design in NFTs, cryptocurrency, and sustainability movements, as well as the rise of motion graphics and AI-powered designs. How might these trends correspond to skills you need to develop?
4. Explore career paths in graphic design.
Being a graphic designer can open doors to numerous careers and industries. As of January 2023, Glassdoor reports that top-rated* companies currently hiring graphic designers include Google (tech), Brigham Young University (education), KnowBe4 (information security), Marketing 360 (marketing), Intuit (financial tech), and Indeed (career support) [ 5 ].
* Glassdoor scores companies based on how their employees rate culture and values, diversity and inclusion, work life balance, compensation and benefits, and other factors.
Within a design department at a company, you may be able to advance into managerial positions, like creative director or project manager . Many people who have started as graphic designers have also expanded into new and exciting fields, such as augmented reality and virtual reality, where visuals are used for interactive experiences.
Read more: Graphic Artist vs. Graphic Designer: Understanding the Difference
Get started with Coursera
Choosing a career as a graphic designer empowers you to use your creativity to help companies get their messages across to their customers. Get started in the creative world of graphic design with the Graphic Design Specialization from the California Institute of the Arts. Complete a Guided Project to enhance your professional portfolio in less than two hours.
Make Compelling Design. Learn and apply the principles of graphic design towards a comprehensive branding project.
320,490 already enrolled
Average time: 6 month(s)
Learn at your own pace
Skills you'll build:
Visual Communication, Branding Communication, Graphic Design, Art History, Typography, Creativity, Graphics, Design Theory, Color Theory, Adobe Illustrator, History, Adobe Indesign, Art, Graphic Arts, Adobe Photoshop
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Do i need to know how to draw to become a graphic designer .
Illustrators must know how to draw, but graphic designers do not. Instead, graphic designers must have a strong sensibility about color, typography, and layout, so they can unite various elements in a visually appealing way.
Do graphics designers need to know how to code?
Graphic designers do not need to know how to use a programming language, but it often helps to know HTML or CSS, which are used to build and design web pages.
Is graphic design hard?
Graphic design is not hard, but it does require being creative as well as a firm understanding of design-based programs like Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and more.
US Bureau of Labor Statistics. " Graphic Designers , https://www.bls.gov/ooh/arts-and-design/graphic-designers.htm#tab-5." Accessed January 11, 2023.
IBISWorld. " Graphic Designers Industry in the US - Market Research Report , https://www.ibisworld.com/united-states/market-research-reports/graphic-designers-industry/." Accessed January 11, 2023.
Zippia. " Graphic Designer Education Requirements , https://www.zippia.com/graphic-designer-jobs/education/." Accessed January 11, 2023.
Zippia. " Graphic Designer Skills for Your Resume and Career , https://www.zippia.com/graphic-designer-jobs/skills/." Accessed January 11, 2023.
Glassdoor. " Top Companies Hiring for Graphic Designer Jobs , https://www.glassdoor.com/Explore/browse-companies.htm?overall_rating_low=4.5&page=1&occ=Graphic%20Designer&filterType=RATING_OVERALL." Accessed January 11, 2023.
This content has been made available for informational purposes only. Learners are advised to conduct additional research to ensure that courses and other credentials pursued meet their personal, professional, and financial goals.
Develop career skills and credentials to stand out
- Build in demand career skills with experts from leading companies and universities
- Choose from over 8000 courses, hands-on projects, and certificate programs
- Learn on your terms with flexible schedules and on-demand courses
Learn something new.
- Learn a Language
- Learn Accounting
- Learn Coding
- Learn Copywriting
- Learn Public Relations
- Boulder MS Data Science
- Illinois iMBA
- Illinois MS Computer Science
- UMich MS in Applied Data Science
Popular Career Paths Articles
- Business Analyst Career Guide
- Data Analyst Career Guide
- Data Engineer Career Guide
- Data Scientist Career Guide
- Product Designer Career Guide
- Project Manager Career Guide
- Scrum Master Career Guide
- Social Media Manager Career Guide
- UX Designer Career Guide
- UX Researcher Career Guide
Popular Resume & Cover Letter Articles
- A Guide for When to Add GPA on Resumes
- Check Out These Resume Length Guidelines
- Crafting an Impressive Project Manager Cover Letter
- Examples of Successful UX Designer Resumes
- How To Add a Resume to LinkedIn
- How to Craft a Resume With No Experience
- How to Show Management Skills on Your Resume
- Learn How Long Your Cover Letter Should Be
- Learn How to Include Certifications on a Resume
- Write a Standout Data Analyst Cover Letter
Popular Interviewing Articles
- Crafting the Perfect Follow-up Email After an Interview
- Data Analyst Interview Questions
- Data Engineer Interview Questions
- IT Interview Questions
- Marketing Interview Questions
- Project Manager Interview Questions
- Scrum Master Interview Questions
- SQL Interview Questions
- Strengths and Weaknesses Interview Questions
- UX Designer Interview Questions
- What We Offer
- Coursera Plus
- Professional Certificates
- MasterTrack® Certificates
- For Enterprise
- For Government
- Become a Partner
- Coronavirus Response
- Free Courses
- All Courses
- Beta Testers
- Teaching Center
- Modern Slavery Statement
- Essay Database >
- Essay Examples >
- Essays Topics >
- Essay on Design
Sample Essay On Graphic Design
Type of paper: Essay
Topic: Design , University , Skills , Future , Students , Virtual Reality , Career , Education
ORDER PAPER LIKE THIS
Graphic design is the art of capably applying an individual style through the use of layout, typography and visual aesthetics in order to exhibit design with a commercial rationale. I strongly believe that I developed design ability and ingenuity naturally throughout my life since my capabilities in graphic design have been increasing rapidly. An opportunity in the university would be important in improving my competencies as well as preparing me into a future career in graphic design. Once granted with a chance to study in the university I would work hard to ensure that I grasp everything including the finest details in graphic design. My intellectual strength has been endowed in creating advertisements. I have been doing this for fun over many years since I was a child. For this reason, I am confident to assert that I can do better in designing graphics for advertisement since I have shown immense love and passion of that over a long period of time.
Another personal strength that I possess is having proper leadership traits which were identified by my graphic design teacher. As a result, these would be helpful in facilitating the development of a bright career in graphic design through careful application of my leadership qualities. I have also been taught to uphold team work and I love working together with others so as to share ideas which would be helpful in molding strong careers. However, I have a weakness in writing papers but in my class I have always loved to create the cover page of assignments so as to put my design skills into practice. Another weakness I have is the fact that am suffering from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) which means that I show poor attention in class and this has led to a poor performance in a majority of my subjects. Conversely, despite having ADHD I still have the ability to focus completely during my designing sessions and thus this would not deter my need to study further in graphic design.
My ability to advocate for team work would be efficient in ensuring that I gain maximally from my colleagues in case I show signs of a reduced attention at any point of my study. I also have high interests in studying psychology since I love socializing with people. My interest in psychology has been effective in developing my comprehension of human beings behaviors as well as knowing how their mentality works. I have a strong conviction that I can use this skill in graphic design to relate with my target audience and also help me to build strong networks to form a distinct career path. Graphic design is meant to create a commercial purpose which would require associating with the society. Hence, there is need to have proper communication skills so as to be a good designer who can communicate a given message to the people. Although, I have not been exposed to an expansive platform, my communication skills are well above par because I have always loved to share ideas as well as socializing with my colleagues at school.
Thus, this would be very beneficial for me in facilitating a good association with colleagues in this career as well as with the society. This will form the basis of my commercial role in graphic design. I have also had numerous chances of presenting my work in class which has really helped in improving my communication skills. In high school, I have been able to undergo a graphic design program for four semesters and this occupied a great deal of my time in school. In this period I was able to learn the basics of graphic design which includes typography and illustration. The program was very insightful as it helped me to learn more about my future career and hence I find the need to further my study in graphic design. I also acquired Photoshop and consequently learnt how to use it on my own. This knowledge has been important in helping me to sharpen my abilities in other areas such as advertising which am so good at and also in the general improvement of my graphic design skills.
After learning Photoshop I have been mentoring other students in our class on the principles of Photoshop. This is due to the fact that I love sharing out my ideas with friends and colleagues. I also anticipate passing on this desirable quality that I possess in the future course of my career in graphic design. I also registered for the Adobe certification exam and I passed the exam. Hence, I am certified in Adobe Photoshop and this gave me the motivation to teach and mentor other students so that they would learn the same. At this juncture, I would be tempted to seat back and search for an advertisement job. However, I feel that would be an untimely assessment of my talent which I still feel is at infancy stage even after all that work. Currently, majority of my trainings have been self learnt and I have developed good creative design proficiency solely, hence I am deficient in formal learning of the theory.
This forms the basis of my application for a M.A degree in Texas State University in their department of graphic design. At the university I look forward at formalizing my training in graphics design and gaining greater knowledge in my career so as to create a personal artistic uniqueness that I can relate to my individual designs. The program offered by the university presents a precise balance of practical training and enough ingenious practice. These would be essential in my artistic development as well as applying technology in graphics design. However, I intend to use my current and future academic and extra- curricular activities to help me in achieving my goal of having a successful career in graphics design.
The reputation of Texas State University as a good arts college coalesced together with the professional works presented by graduates of the university persuaded me to prioritize this university above all others. I desire to improve my inventiveness and skills in my entire stay at the university as well as play a role in upholding the prestigious position that the institution holds in the country and also build up strong associations with fellow students and the faculty. In conclusion, my primary objective is to graduate as a highly competent graphic designer and a self-motivated artist who would develop a distinctive culture of beautiful and sensible designs in the career. This would mark one big step of realizing my dream goal of excelling in my career.
Cite this page
Share with friends using:
Finished papers: 2077
This paper is created by writer with
If you want your paper to be:
Well-researched, fact-checked, and accurate
Original, fresh, based on current data
Eloquently written and immaculately formatted
275 words = 1 page double-spaced
Essay on right place wrong face a response, the characterization of prem kumar argumentative essay, sample essay on higher ground-film and memoir, good critical thinking about africans in europe- history, conflict and society., related topics, a raisin in the sun essay.
Password recovery email has been sent to [email protected]
Use your new password to log in
You are not register!
Now you can download documents directly to your device!
Check your email! An email with your password has already been sent to you! Now you can download documents directly to your device.
The sample is NOT original!
Short on a deadline?
Don't waste time. Get help with 11% off using code - GETWOWED
No, thanks! I'm fine with missing my deadline
Writing help, paraphrasing tool, my dream job: graphic design.
- Communication , Design , Information Technology , Job
How it works
Graphic design career
When I am older, I want to become a professional graphic designer because I have been doing graphic design since about 5th grade and have always enjoyed the art of graphic design. I would describe myself as very creative and graphic design provides a great way to express myself. Graphic design to me is a self-driven activity because I am able to create anything I want for either myself or others but also there is a decent demand for it from others.
Over the years I have joined and participated in a handful of online communities where I could share my work with others and get feedback. This really opened my eyes to not only what I could do in graphic arts but that I really enjoyed doing it with others.
I would like to be a graphic designer because it is a profession, I believe I could do most of my work at home and get time with my family and enjoy what I love to do at the same time and that is a huge bonus for me in the long run.
Graphic design has been around for a very long time. From the first logo’s in the late 1400’s, Chromolithography in 1837 with advertisements. A large advancement was when Photoshop was first released in 1990 which leads to millions of pieces of art after that made on the very useful tool of Photoshop. In 2014, there were about 261,600 graphic designers and based on the website BestValue Schools (https://www.bestvalueschools.com/faq/what-is-the-employment-outlook-for-graphic-designers/) , the projected growth of computer based graphic design between now and 2024 will be 24-26% per year.
The best schooling for graphic design from my research is Rhode Island School of Design; it is described as “The Harvard of art schools” According to PrepScholar.com (https://blog.prepscholar.com/best-graphic-design-schools-in-the-us). From 2015-16 it cost ~$64,000 / year to attend including tuition, room and board. After much research I heard that The Rhode Island School of Art is by far the best graphic design school in America so I believe it would be the best for me to be able to succeed in this career.
I have been doing graphic design since 5th grade. I was on a website where people made graphics like sports cards and wallpaper and would sell them for online currency on the website to then use on other things like games. My parents were already supportive and helped me get the tools I needed to be able to explore and have fun with something. I was always inspired by other’s graphic designs, so I subscribed to Photoshop and researched many tutorials online, mainly on YouTube, to see how other people were using it and creating the images that inspired me the most. The amount of information online and on YouTube seemed endless and really helped spark my curiosity about this and becoming a professional one day.
I will often make free wallpapers for friends, family, and teammates to first get better at what I do and have more experience but also to get feedback on what to work on next time. I can also make designs to transpose things like shirts, sweatshirts, cups, etc. I once made shirts with designs and sold them to people in my class in 8th grade to first see if I was able to do it and then realized that my classmates enjoyed them too and were willing to pay me for them. That experience was something that really changed my thinking about this as a profession and I almost immediately started thinking about it in those terms, a profession.
Another example that comes to mind is my dad works for a high-tech company out of San Jose CA but works remotely in Leavenworth in a coworking space. In that coworking space someone had asked for help in designing a logo they needed for a new business they were starting. My dad offered one day for me to meet with her at the coworking space and brainstorm on some ideas for her logo and then return with some designs that she could use. This was a great experience for me as an 8th grader to work with someone’s ideas of their business and how to transpose that into a logo design. I learned a lot from that experience, and it motivated me even more to continue down this path.
Many times, I am asked by my classmates to teach and/or tutor them in Photoshop to help in their other classes. In 7th grade I was in a computer class and the class was working on Photoshop and my friend had no Photoshop experience. So, I helped her out by looking over her shoulder in class and in another instance, I looked over her shoulder virtually over a video call while I was on my way to a football game with my teammates. This classmate now believes that I was the reason she passed the class. I am very patient when I teach people stuff on Photoshop. I remember what it was like learning Photoshop for the first time and I often put myself in others’ shoes to help explain and show them things to help them understand faster.
I would like to start working a graphic design job / internship early to get even more experience. Then hopefully go to college and learn even more about graphic designing and then have a very successful career in the graphic design field for a very long time because it is something I really love to do.
The deadline is too short to read someone else's essay
Cite this page.
My Dream Job: graphic design. (2021, Oct 18). Retrieved from https://papersowl.com/examples/my-dream-job-graphic-design/
"My Dream Job: graphic design." PapersOwl.com , 18 Oct 2021, https://papersowl.com/examples/my-dream-job-graphic-design/
PapersOwl.com. (2021). My Dream Job: graphic design . [Online]. Available at: https://papersowl.com/examples/my-dream-job-graphic-design/ [Accessed: 8 May. 2023]
"My Dream Job: graphic design." PapersOwl.com, Oct 18, 2021. Accessed May 8, 2023. https://papersowl.com/examples/my-dream-job-graphic-design/
"My Dream Job: graphic design," PapersOwl.com , 18-Oct-2021. [Online]. Available: https://papersowl.com/examples/my-dream-job-graphic-design/. [Accessed: 8-May-2023]
PapersOwl.com. (2021). My Dream Job: graphic design . [Online]. Available at: https://papersowl.com/examples/my-dream-job-graphic-design/ [Accessed: 8-May-2023]
Don't let plagiarism ruin your grade
Make sure your essay is plagiarism-free or hire a writer to get a unique paper crafted to your needs.
Leave your email and we will send a sample to you., not finding what you need, search for essay samples now.
Having doubts about how to write your paper correctly?
Our writers will help you fix any mistakes and get an A+!
Please check your inbox.
Don't use plagiarized sources
Where do you want us to send this sample, attention this is just a sample..
You can order an original essay written according to your instructions.
Trusted by over 1 million students worldwide
1. Tell Us Your Requirements
2. Pick your perfect writer
3. Get Your Paper and Pay
Hi! I'm Amy, your personal assistant!
Don't know where to start? Give me your paper requirements and I connect you to an academic expert.
- Graphic Design
- Interior Design
Graphic Design Essay (1181 words)
Get original paper in 3 hours and nail the task
124 experts online
A career in graphic design is perfect for a creative individual who has a sense of design. “A graphic designer is one who creates ideas that are expressed in words and/or pictures, and generally solves problems of visual communication,” says Paul Rand, a professional designer 23. Employment in this profession is projected to increase 29% by the year 2006, which is the highest of any career according to a study done by the American Institute of the Graphic Arts 3.
A graphic designer may work in a variety of places including a large firm or corporation, a specific design agency, a magazine or newspaper, or even in his own home as a freelance designer. There are few specific requirements needed to be involved in graphic design. However, there are similar traits and qualities that most designers generally possess, including training, knowledge of specific elements, using criticism positively, and a keen eye for color and balance. The cost of being a graphic designer must also be factored in.
Graphic design is a career that offers a creative outlet but can be quite stressful, which is why designers must be cooperative and work well with others. A dexterous designer knows how to use criticism positively. Oftentimes criticism is what makes a piece of art better. Depending on the project, job duties may include designing and preparing layouts, sketching out ideas, arranging the materials needed, or putting together the final image. Since there may be different requirements for each client, a graphic designer on average should have the ability to be spontaneous and creative and work well under pressure and stressful in situations.
DO NOT be a designer if you stress out easily! ” says Steve Jones interview. In many cases a designer has deadlines which may not be negotiated with his clients, and therefore he must work productively. There is also the downside of creating an image that is not accepted by the client; the designer must then discuss what is wrong with it and perhaps start over. “Any job becomes creative when the doer cares about doing it right, or doing it better. ” Borenstein Certain clients leave the project completely open-ended and up to the designer, while others have a specific idea in mind.
It is important for the designer to remember that he is creating a piece of work for someone else’s liking, and it may not be exactly what he would do on his own time. Most clients, however, choose their designers by looking at their portfolios or recognizing other pieces they have created. A client usually hires someone with a style he prefers. Other qualities that a designer must have include the ability to make original designs, knowledge of composition, and attention to detail. Social skills play a major role in the profession.
While creating a design may be done independently, the final piece is usually presented by the designer to someone else. It is not likely that advanced math will be used, but basic skills such as adding and subtracting quickly and accurately are necessary. There is also not a lot of physical activity essential to the artist. “At the end of a project, your brain will feel like it just ran a marathon. ” Anderson The amount of time it takes to create a piece of graphic art depends on the individual. If he is given a deadline, for instance, the designer will use his time wisely and efficiently to finish the project.
A designer often works from his home, which allows them to choose their own hours. An experienced artist is aware of their personal style of creating and finishing a project. Some work well in an office setting, while others work more efficiently at night when it is quiet. Due to the variations in styles and individuals, a graphic designer generally spends around 25-50 hours a week working on projects. Preparing to be a professional graphic designer can vary depending on how much experience is desired by the individual. On average, the minimum amount of education is between two and four years of training in either fine art or design.
Many choose to attend a general university to start with and often transfer to a specific art or design school. High school students are not expected to take classes specifically in graphic design, but advanced art classes will help them in the future. A basic four-year high school curriculum English, math, science, and history is all that is expected to have been taken by a high school student; however, college preparatory classes are beneficial. Since the demand for designers is quickly increasing, finding a job after advanced training is quite simple.
Employers will look for those with a strong background, experience, and a large portfolio. A designer may have a natural ability to create an extraordinary piece of design; in this case a lot of training is not necessary. For this reason, students who wish to find work as soon as possible should look into attending an art school after they graduate from high school. Graphic design requires one to have knowledge and experience in working with images and type. “Typography is the term used to describe the use of words and type to convey a message” Perfect.
One who has an intelligent sense of design is familiar with how to incorporate color with type and image to create an emphasis where needed. It is important to be able to catch on to things quickly. A strong vocabulary will be to the designer’s advantage, because oftentimes words are used as the main focus; any misspellings would not be the client’s fault. When looking at advertisements in magazines, for example, the ones that catch the eye have a good balance of image and type; there is not too much of one or the other. Computers are quickly becoming the most popular tool for combining image and type.
The materials needed in graphic design can be quite expensive, but the final product will be worth it. As any artist knows, the cost of supplies adds up fast. The images can either be taken from a photograph, a sketch, a painting, or any other type of art. There is also the need for access to a computer, scanner, and printer. Computer programs that are specifically designed for the graphic arts can be quite costly, such as Photoshop about $600. In order to produce a nice piece of work, these materials are necessary. Other computer programs include Quark, Adobe Illustrator, and Corel Draw.
In order to be a leading designer in the future, individuals in the profession must have the ability to come up with original and unique ideas. One who enjoys preparing layouts for school projects or arranging art into a final composition would excel in the graphic design field. Not anyone can be a graphic designer; only those who accept responsibility and have a natural ability in design will enjoy this career. Modern-day designers will be the leaders of the next millennium and will produce the designs that will be seen for years to come. The opportunities as a graphic artist are endless.
This essay was written by a fellow student. You may use it as a guide or sample for writing your own paper, but remember to cite it correctly . Don’t submit it as your own as it will be considered plagiarism.
Need custom essay sample written special for your assignment?
Choose skilled expert on your subject and get original paper with free plagiarism report
Graphic Design Essay (1181 words). (2018, May 02). Retrieved from https://happyessays.com/graphic-design-essay/
More related essays
Music Appreciation Flashcard
Art History, Online
- Words 15854
AP Art History 250 Required Images
Arts flashcard section 6
History of Costume exam 2
MUS 101 – Test 1 Answers
- Words 18304
Art Renaissance to Modern
Hi, my name is Amy 👋
In case you can't find a relevant example, our professional writers are ready to help you write a unique paper. Just talk to our smart assistant Amy and she'll connect you with the best match.
- Free Essays
- Citation Generator
Graphic Designer Career Essay
You May Also Find These Documents Helpful
I am experienced in using the adobe packages, such as Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator. Unfortunately I feel that my layout and typography skills could do with improving. This would then help me in the future if I went into a career in advertising. I have done some work experience with Kirsty Doyle, were I did allot of graphic design, which involved allot of layout ideas and typography. I designed allot of newsletters and magazine pages, use of typography, campaigns and general advertising. Each week I found myself getting better at layout and understanding typography more; Kirsty herself could see an improvement in my work. Therefore I will carry on doing my work experience and then I will hopefully I will carry on getting better and better at what I feel is my weakness.…
Psy 202 Week 3 Discussion Part 2
My present position is a Marketing professional which is one of the career matches under the artistic personality type. I love what I do and the freedom in which it allows. My job allows me to be me and express myself. In the end I intend to obtain my degree in the healthcare communication and marketing field. I feel that I have finally found my niche. I feel being satisfied and loving what you do will show through in your personality, the way you handle yourself and the way that you interact with others. I am more confident and relaxed when doing what I am passionate about. I have had many clients say to me that they chose my service because of me. They could see how much I believed in it and it made them comfortable enough to make the decision to move forward. Choosing the right career makes all the difference. Money is part of the factor, because we need it to live, but passion is what will ultimately drive you forward. Whereas just the opposite happens if you take a job you hate. The money may be…
Mgt 460 Final Exams
6). Career counselor: It is best for artists to build a practical and safe career that will guarantee them a secure income, and then pursue their art in their spare time. That way, they will be motivated to work hard at…
Excellent Sheep Analysis
Success is in the eye of the beholder. What one individual deems successful should not be the same as the next person. Everyone is unique, has unique interests, sees the world differently. Success should directly correlate with values. Valuing energy efficient buildings and valuing the technical construction of artwork is very different. Two different values lead to two different careers, both important. Society needs engineers to build energy efficient buildings and engineers need art fanatics to decorate that building. It just so happens that the engineer who designed the building makes more money than the art consultant, that doesn’t mean the art consultant isn’t happy. How much money a person makes is not related to how happy they are. If that person is interested in STEM, finds happiness in the work, and happens to make a lot of money, that is…
Personal Narrative: My Goals In Life After College
My goal in life after college is to procure a well paying job in the field of my passion; visual design. As an artist in the visual design world, my intention is to be able to work closely with architects; not only making their own business more efficient, but also collaborating with them to find more economical solutions to the common problems that plague the architectural world, such as: energy efficiency and aesthetic appeal. Outside of my professional interests, I pride myself on being a compassionate young man; therefore, by finding a career in my field of choice, I hope to be able to innovate ways to provide a stable house and home for those who cannot provide it for themselves.…
My career goal is to become a Doctor of Pediatrics. I chose this career because I adore children. I love being around them and taking care of them. I feel that they are the seeds of life, and I want them to sprout into beautiful, healthy, and strong flowers overtime. I believe that this job is a good choice for me because I have patience and I can interact very well with children. It is something I have always wanted to do.…
The career that I have literally chosen is the automotive service technician and mechanics career. The reason why I chose this career it’s because… Well actually I have plenty and many reasons to choose from because I am very passionate about this career and I have lived through it my entire life. One reason is that Auto Mechanics is because to me it’s an interesting field to me. I decided to explore the topic a little more to get a better understanding of what it would take to become a successful automotive technician . I have lived through the auto mechanics field pretty much all through my life. Well actually since I have been born. The reason of this is very simple. That is because my very own dad is an auto mechanic himself. Well actually to be more exact, he owns his own auto mechanic shop. Since I was little I have always helped him at his work because I have always enjoyed working with vehicles. Since the very first day that I started working with him I already knew that the automotive field was the job for me. Since I was a baby my very own parents use to tell me that I would disappear out of their sight. And when they used to find me I used to be playing with the tools besides my dad helping him out. I have pretty much made my mind up about actually going further in this career. Not only because I actually enjoy doing that job but also because of the pay check that you receive. Well actually that is a bonus in it. It does matter to me the money that you earn in it but not as much as I like doing the activity of interacting and working with automobiles. I have faith in me that one day I am not only going to fix cars, but I am also going to own my own shop myself.…
Social Responsibility Of Graphic Designer Essay
In Victor Margolin’s article “Rebellion, Reform, and Revolution: American Graphic Design for Social Change,” he does well in presenting Graphic Designers and their contributions to political and social change throughout history. Graphic Designers have a moral and ethical responsibility to the public. Mainstream media offers a plethora of inspiration and information for visual artists and designers alike. In recent years, the media’s journalistic integrity, or lack thereof, has been easily influenced by political agendas and bias. It is imperative for Graphic Designers to conduct as much research as possible before creating any social or political solution. The psychological and social impact of Graphic Design requires designers to have both morals and ethics. There are many tools a designer has to use at their exposal, such as: political public opinion, psychology, and media influence.…
English 111 Career Essay
Choosing a career is one of the most important decisions a person has to make in their life. It is so important because that is what we will have to do to support ourselves throughout life. Imagine being stuck in a dead end job and having to go to work every morning and dreading it. Life is too short to work 35 years and be unhappy with it. If a person likes their job, then it is not work, because finding satisfaction out of a job can bring great happiness. That information has enabled me to make the decision of choosing my area of study and career in the field of Nursing.…
Introduction and Outline to Graphic Designers
Introduction: Graphic Designers, or graphic artists, are artists whose creations vividly express ideas, convey ideas, and captures audience’s attention a product. They design a wide range of material including displays, advertisements, games, computer graphics, and books. Graphic designers came alongside the growth of newspapers, magazines, and catalogs. The growth of computer technology has revolutionized the way graphic designers work. In today’s time, even if one cannot draw a simple stick figure, it is possible to become a successful graphic designer. Much of the work done by these artists is used by computers. A person who loves art, computers, or love to express their feelings and emotions through different mediums would be interested in becoming a graphic artist. A person may choose this career to expand their ideas beyond paper, bringing their creativity to life.…
Veterinarians: Career, Salary And Education Information
The form of the communication can be physical or virtual, and may include images, words, or graphic forms” (Cezar). It is also highly important for a person in this occupation to have a lot of technological knowledge. In order to pursue becoming a graphic designer, it is required for one to have a bachelor's degree in the related field. Bachelor Degree programs may require that the student has taken a full year of basic art and design courses before starting the program. Potential employees should have also taken art in high school, which would have prepared them for what is to come in graphic design. It usually would take a beginner graphic designer 1 to 3 years to advance to a higher occupation in this career path. Advance occupations such as, chief designer, art or creative director, etc. are what beginners could eventually become (Bureau of Labor Statistics,…
Graphic Design Persuasive
Many people will argue that money and esteem is earned from hard work and determination. However, that’s not the case for graphic designers. Graphic design is a job that requires no effort or talent, and is the easiest and fastest way to earn money and esteem. Graphic design is the best job because it can be easily learned, it gives certain privileges, and because it supplies a good amount of money.…
College Admissions Essay: A Career In The Fashion Industry
I am the perfect candidate for the Fashion Institute of technology because I am inquisitive; I am always craving more knowledge no matter what the topic - I am a leader, I enjoy coming up with fresh, new ideas and I am an intensely passionate person. Though, unlike many other FIT applicants, I haven’t always had a “passion for fashion”. Growing up, I wanted to be an Architectural engineer. It wasn’t until someone close to me gave me my first Michael Kors handbag my 8th grade year that I began to develop the passion I have now. Handling this bag was when realized my obsession with high-end fashion was only beginning. I was amazed at the production work put into making the merchandise. Of course the beauty of fashion is interesting, but what…
College Admissions Essay: A Career In My Life
These are the words that resonate with my life journey and the path ahead as I prepare myself to set foot on the path towards residency. My life's timeline has been a great mix of personal, emotional and intellectual growth. Coming from a rural town in Pakistan with limited educational opportunities, life handed me various challenges and struggles. The key reason I have come this far is my belief to build a door when the opportunity does not knock. With courage and passion, I was able to stretch the limits of what was "possible" and went beyond and it has shaped me as a person that I am today.…
Why I Want To Go Back To School Essay
This past year, I found myself in a stagnant part of my life. I was in a career in banking that no longer gave me the satisfaction that I believed was an important aspect of a job, nor the salary that I needed to support myself. I began searching for new jobs that might be more exciting and challenging for me but every single ad that was interesting to me was out of my league. Without a simple associate's degree, I was…
- Customer service
- Strategic management
Short Essay On Graphic Design
Graphic design career research paper.
During my job shadow with Ms. Eileen Chalupa on Doane’s Campus I learned how to be creative, come up with my own style of graphic designing, and most importantly to never give up or lose hope on a project that someone has asked for. Her job is the head graphic designer at Doane University. Some questions that I asked her during the job shadow were what are some positive aspects and negative aspects of working as a graphic designer, are the hours flexible for the job and another question I asked was what training did she do to get ready for this type of work and if it required any type of education to complete.
Argumentative Essay On Graphic Design
Graphic Design has always been an ever evolving and changing field. Graphic design-like activities can be found throughout history like the ancient cave paintings or the manuscript of the Middle Ages. As the true purpose of graphic design is to communicate, technology has since made this process more effective, extending the reach and spread of information. This allows graphic design to have a higher level of impact that cannot be achieved without the use of technology.
Lucille Tenazas Analysis
Lucille Tenazas is certainly the kind of person who welcomes all sorts of experiences with open arms and lets them sink into her mind and feelings and purify her personality. All bits of her experiences, particularly those with a cultural and social aspect, have turned her into an exceptional figure, a figure that is respectable to everyone.
Impact Of Technology On Graphic Design
Internet technology has new created new medium for designers. Design has become a breathing and living animal that users can interact with. The web has become a natural evolution of skills for broadcast designers while print designers may struggle. When watching a movie, using interactive tools on a properly designed website and flash animation has been an active participant. Technology has enabled online communities in collaboration with the internet to work with designers in solving problems
Pricing Strategy: Hollister Brand
Hollister offers wide range of consumer shopping goods related to the Clothing line. They offer different product with different versions to Dudes and bettys include graphic and “crew and tee shirts”, polo’s, Henley’s, cardigans, shirts, pullovers, outerwear, rinse or wash slim jeans, flip-flops, shoes, perfume and boxers.
Analysis: The Absoutly True Diray Of A Part-Time Indian
Art is very powerful you just do not notice how powerful it is. So the book The Absoutly True Diray Of A Part-Time Indian is a very good book. So let me tell you a little bit about the book so there is a boy named Joinor aka Arnold and there is a friend named Rowdy and they both have a love for basketball. They have been throgh soom good times and some bad times but they have allways been friends and they live on a poor reservation. This essay is about that art is powerful.
Essay On CGI
In this technological age, use of machines and systems is rapidly replacing more traditional means. Take for instance, computer generated imagery, otherwise known as CGI (insert cited definition here). Computer generated imagery is prevalent in a vast amount of the visuals we humans are exposed to, regardless of whether we realize it or not. It has had such a tremendous impact on different industries, such as design, manufacturing, entertainment, business and education. Under the category of entertainment, an example of use of computer generated imagery is that of its use in the video production industry, which includes film, television, music videos and visual advertisements. Undoubtedly, this recent development has led to accelerated advancements
Graphic Design In The 20th Century
In the 20th century, Graphic Design evolved and changed for the better in many ways. During this century, many prominent Graphic Designers emerged and changed everything that was known about graphic design with their revolutionary works. Also, general ideas about art changed and art was developed for different reasons, like propaganda posters. First, I will discuss the new graphic design in the early 20th century.
Analysis Of The Corporate Culture Of Red Bull
This Project Thesis was submitted to the Macromedia University of applied Science in Munich on the
Lotte Reiniger Animation
Animation refers to the creation of the sequence of images drawn, painted, or produced by other artistic methods that change over time portray the illusion of motion. Animators are artists who specialize in the creation of animation. Animation has 2D and 3D, for 2 dimensional figures are created or edited on the computer using 2D bitmap graphics or created and edited using 2D vector graphics. This includes automated computerized versions of traditional animation techniques, for 3 dimensional is digitally modeled and manipulated by an animator. The animator usually starts by creating a 3D polygon mesh to manipulate. A mesh typically includes many vertices that are connected by edges and faces, which give the visual appearance of form to a 3D object or 3D environment.
Descriptive Essay On Drawing
I have never thought that drawing would help me out in life until I tried it. The interest started when I was in second grade when I saw one of my best friends drawing. I am thankful for her, she is the one who taught me to be patient and practice makes perfect. It gets a little frustrating and overwhelming when your interest is there, but you are not good at it. I would even write and illustrate my own books and would read it to the class. My interest in drawing has increase because it helps me with stress, makes people smile and I can control my anger.
Importance Of Design In Our Life
Firstly, the importance of art and design in daily life is benefit to business. How design can benefit to business? People can use the product design in their business because product design can help the company to increase their sales quantities and sell the product with a high efficiency and smoothly. The customers will have more choices to choose their product and able to find what they are looking for. Product design can fulfil the demands of the customers and they are willing visit the same company again in the future. Referencing to the words of Vonderembse (n.d.),
Essay On Photoshop
Has people's use of Photoshop gone too far? Is altering photos to make people unrealistically skinny a good idea? For years, many photos in magazines, advertisements, etc. have been altered, making models and celebrities blemish free and thin. But in some cases of retouched photos the outcome can be horrific, making the person very unprofessional and disturbing. But making models thinner than they actually are can have bad effects on the public. Although many businesses may earn a lot of money from their photoshopped models or celebrities, they should put labels on their work, telling the public it’s been altered, and be aware of what their photos can do with young children's’ development and how it may cause eating disorders.
Impacts Of Print Media And Electronic Media On Social Development
Print media advertising is a form of advertising that uses physically printed media (such as magazines and newspapers) to reach consumers, business customers, and prospects. Advertisers also use digital media, such as banner ads, mobile ads, and social media ads, to reach the same target audience.
Art Integration Essay
Visual and performing arts tend to act as separate entities within the field of education; considerably isolated from the majority of academia, these sectors are often considered to be secondary or elective options after completing primary education. The arts are an essential part of a well-rounded education, however, when an institute begins a budgeting process, the arts are rarely considered a top priority. For example, during periods of recession many public schools within the United Stated were forced to cut visual, performing and musical arts programs, despite studies that proved the exposure to the arts to be beneficial for students both academically and in extracurricular activities.
More about Short Essay On Graphic Design
- Graphic design
Essay On Graphic Design
Graphic design persuasive essay.
Many people will argue that money and esteem is earned from hard work and determination. However, that’s not the case for graphic designers. Graphic design is a job that requires no effort or talent, and is the easiest and fastest way to earn money and esteem. Graphic design is the best job because it can be easily learned, it gives certain privileges, and because it supplies a good amount of money.
Graphic Design Nvq
Graphic designers need to have a good understanding of colour and form, this is important as colour is everything in most designs, a website with good colours can attract more traffic rather than a website with poor colour choices. A good graphic designer is able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, the job is time consuming and deadlines can be short meaning the designer has to work very efficiently with lots of pressure on their shoulders. They need to have good communication skills as communicating with a client is a must and the job cannot be done without it. Lastly graphic designers need to be able to work as part of a team as teamwork is crucial to successfully and efficiently complete a
Why I Want to Be a Graphic Designer
During my whole life and experience I have been interested in the Art, Creativity, and I have been traveling around Graphics Designing. When I go out to centres, supermarkets, the high streets around Kingston anywhere in London, Germany and other parts of Europe which I have seen. I have seen lots of Graphics designs in advertising, Billboards companies for example in electronical products or any type of product the graphics advertising companies running around the world, just because of that I was inspired in the graphics designing and I was influence by the subject.
Chip Kidd's The Cheese Monkeys
If we examine our existence through a dichotomous lens of internal and external experiences, it is easier to understand the importance of graphic design. Everyone, to some extent, is trapped within themselves. There is me in here, and you in there—a separation exists. We find common ground in the external world where there are certain rules that most of us have agreed to play by. Graphic design functions as a catalyst for either strengthening or disintegrating these rules. It screams, “Continue! Begin! Stop!” The graphic designer must work through the external world, understand its rules, and journey through their internal world in search of a project’s solution. If the solution is successful,
Art Director Personal Statement
I think it’s very important for young designers to do two things. One: spend the first one to five years learning how to design and present design from somebody who is terrific at it. Having that basic understanding will carry you through the rest of their career. The second is this: develop the ability to explain, defend, and promote your work. Those are the two most important things.
Career Choice Paper
To better like the job you have to have a better understanding of it. You have to know what a Craft and Fine Artists does and the benefits of the jobs. Craft and amercement creative person use a variety of textile and proficiency to create art for sales event and exhibition. Craft creative person create handmade target, such as pottery, chicken feed ware, material or other objects that are designed to be functional. Mulct artist s, including painters, sculptors, and illustrator, create archetype deeds of art for
Textiles Hsc External Internal and Factors and Contemporary Designers Essay Questions
Designers may develop their skills by completing courses at TAFE or university in design and / or manufacture. Other designers are self-taught and gain their skills through on-the-job training. Depending on the size of the company, designers may work alone or collaborate as a member of a team working towards a common design goal. To be successful, all designers must have an understanding of the market place in order to ensure their final products meet a consumer need or want.
Is Technology Destroying Graphic Design As An Art Form?
I will investigate if the proliferation of cheap home computers has actually enhanced the graphic design industry or merely diluted it. This topic in itself has me polarised, I am also of the belief that anyone with a computer can be classified as a graphic designer. I would like to investigate whether this is an issue
Concept Artist Career
When working as someone who works within this career there is always going to be an element of excitement and fun for someone who is passionate about art and being able to express their creativity. But there can be a lot of stress, commitment, and vision put into this type of career as you have to know and understand your role within
My Passion: Graphic Design At Tuscola Technology Center
My passion is found in art. Not drawing or painting though, it is Graphic design. At Tuscola Technology Center, I was enrolled in the Graphic Communications program. We design and create different pieces. Whether it is shirts, business cards, brochures, flyers, bags, etc. We produce it. There are many different processes used in graphics. I have learned all of the steps to be able to create anything I want to. Everything in graphics uses precise measurements collaborating with an eye for design aspects. Learning color harmonies is also a big part of graphic design. Color elicits emotional responses in a person. This helps to determine what colors and harmonies should be used. Art can be both formal and informal. If a person would like a project
Personal Statement: Graphic Designer
I am a graphic designer with a total of five years experience working in the graphics world. Throughout my educaion and experiences I have had the pleasure of working on some really great projects within both the print and digital market.
Designing A Professional Graphic Designer That Is More Than Qualified For My Essay
Graphic designers play an important role in the media world. Graphic designers put their skills and vision to work in service of commercial clients such as major corporations, or logos and marketing for companies such as Pepsi or Coke, from billboards to signs, to cereal boxes and websites are all created by graphic designers. Graphic designers have the potential to create visuals that help communicate information, events, and items. Other graphic designers work from layouts and sketches to create literature such as magazine designs, reports, and journals. Designers are also responsible for marketing, which includes logos, package design, and branding. I do not know what type of graphic designer I want to be, so I thought I
Graphic Designer And Interior Designer
A graphic designer uses visual elements to communicate messages through print and electronic media. Graphic designers use creativity and computer skills to design visuals associated with technology. They create everything from websites to special effects for movies, and may work in a variety of industries. He or she may design magazines and newspapers, websites, packaging, video games, promotional displays and marketing materials. A bachelor 's degree is usually required for entry into this field. Graphic design programs, such as the Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design, generally include coursework in color theory, design software, typography, desktop publishing, principle of design, digital imaging, game and interactive media design and website design. At some schools, you may be able to major in another field, such as communication or graphic design, and emphasize digital design using elective hours. A Master of
Essay on Having a Career in Fashion Design
Many talented individuals are attracted to careers as designers. Those with little or no education, as
My Observation Of Design Thinking
Design thinking is all about the design specific skills that a designer applies during the process of designing, not specifically needing to be a graphic designer as this thought process can be applied to a lot of people in the creative industries such as interior and exterior designers, game designers and even architects. Design thinking has now come to be characterised as fusing the appreciation of other designers and people that can produce beautiful projects and incorporating it into your own work. It’s the imaginative concept and the coherence to figure out the
- Graphic design
- Communication design
Graphic Essays and Comics
Overview | Recommended Software | Student-Made Examples | Other Examples | Instructional Video
A graphic essay (sometimes called a visual essay) uses a combination of text and images to explore a specific topic. Graphic essays can look like comics, graphic novels, magazines, collages, artist books, textbooks, or even websites. Graphic essays often first take the form of written essays and then have graphic elements added to enrich the reader experience. Unlike infographics, which also combine text and images, graphic essays are often more text-based and usually have a narrative arc or specific reading order.
Comics are a genre used to express ideas through images combined with text or other visual information. Comics can take the form of a single panel or a series of juxtaposed panels of images, sometimes called a strip. Text is conveyed via captions below the panel(s), or speech bubbles and onomatopoeias within the panel(s), to indicate dialogue, narration, sound effects, or other information. Graphic novels are often considered to be a longer form of comics, typically in book form.
A web-based graphic essay can take the form of a blog or a single page website, such as a Microsoft Sway page or an interactive Prezi. For Microsoft Sway and Prezi graphic essays, see the examples below. If you are creating a blog we recommend visiting the Web-Based Projects page .
Graphic Essay Design Tip: Graphic essays can take many forms, so we recommend being creative within the scope of your project! Get some help from DesignLab to brainstorm options and talk through the various tools available!
Make an Appointment
There are many different software programs that can be used to create graphic essays. Below is a list of the software that we recommend for making a graphic essay. We organized the software by category and put the software from top to bottom from best to worst. We recommend using a software you know well or learning the software well enough to establish an easy workflow, so you can spend less time troubleshooting and spend more time on your project. Check out our Software Support page for links to tutorials for all of these programs.
General Graphic Essay Software
Web-Based Graphic Essay Software
Comic-Specific Graphic Essay Software
Print style graphic essay.
Becoming a Witness by Jessica Posnock
Creative Graphic Essay
Virtual Communication by Max Hautala *Award Winning*
Curb Magazine (2012) by Journalism 417
Web-Based (Magazine) Graphic Essay
Curb Magazine (Current) by Journalism 417
Web-Based (Sway) Graphic Essay
Language Influences Culture, Thoughts, and Identity by Kristen Luckow *Award Winning*
Dyslexia by Maria Swanke *Award Winning*
Web-based (blog) graphic essay.
Switch It Up: Graphic Essay by Amanda Zieba
Graphic Novels in the Classroom by Gene Yang
What does a graphic designer do?
Would you make a good graphic designer? Take our career test and find your match with over 800 careers.
What is a Graphic Designer?
A graphic designer creates visual concepts, using computer software or by hand, to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, or captivate consumers. They work in a variety of industries, including advertising, marketing, and publishing, and use their skills to create logos, brochures, websites, packaging, and other promotional materials. Graphic designers are responsible for creating visually appealing designs that communicate a specific message or concept to the intended audience. They must also have an understanding of the latest design trends and software, as well as an ability to work collaboratively with other designers and clients.
The role of a graphic designer is essential in the creation of a brand image and the promotion of a company's products or services. They are responsible for creating designs that are not only visually appealing but also effectively communicate the intended message. Graphic designers must have a keen eye for detail, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines. They must also have a good understanding of color theory, typography, and layout design to ensure that the final product is both aesthetically pleasing and functional.
Get online training through our partner:
What does a Graphic Designer do?
Graphic designers play an important role in society by creating visual designs that communicate messages and ideas. They use their skills in typography, color theory, and layout to create designs for a wide range of industries. Their work can help businesses and organizations effectively communicate with their audiences, and can also have a significant impact on how people perceive and interact with the world around them. From creating logos and branding to designing book covers and websites, graphic designers have the ability to shape and influence the visual landscape of our society. Their work has the power to inform, inspire, and connect people across cultures and communities.
Duties and Responsibilities The duties and responsibilities of a graphic designer can vary depending on the specific industry and job position. However, some common duties and responsibilities include:
- Creating designs - Graphic designers are responsible for creating visual designs that communicate a specific message or concept. They may create designs for logos, brochures, websites, packaging, advertisements, or other promotional materials.
- Researching and understanding the target audience - Before creating any designs, graphic designers must research and understand the target audience to ensure that the final product effectively communicates the intended message.
- Collaborating with clients and other team members - Graphic designers often work closely with clients and other team members, such as copywriters or marketing professionals, to create designs that meet their needs and align with the overall marketing strategy.
- Creating and editing images - Graphic designers use computer software to create and edit images, such as photographs or illustrations, that are used in the final design.
- Selecting colors, typography, and layout design - Graphic designers must have a good understanding of color theory, typography, and layout design to ensure that the final product is both aesthetically pleasing and functional.
- Presenting designs to clients and receiving feedback - After creating designs, graphic designers often present them to clients and receive feedback to make any necessary revisions.
- Managing multiple projects and meeting deadlines - Graphic designers often work on multiple projects at once and must manage their time effectively to meet deadlines.
- Staying up-to-date with design trends and software - Graphic designers must stay up-to-date with the latest design trends and software to ensure that their designs are current and competitive.
Types of Graphic Designers There are several types of graphic designers, each with their own unique set of skills and specialties. Some of the most common types of graphic designers include:
- Branding and Identity Designers: These designers specialize in creating visual identities for companies, organizations, and products. They may design logos, packaging, and other visual elements that help to establish a brand's identity.
- User Experience (UX) Designers : UX designers focus on designing the user experience of digital products, such as websites and mobile apps. They work to create intuitive and engaging interfaces that make it easy for users to interact with these products.
- Web Designers : These designers specialize in creating visually appealing and functional websites. They may work on the layout, typography, and other design elements of a website to ensure that it is easy to use and visually appealing.
- Print Designers: Print designers create designs that are meant to be printed, such as business cards, brochures, and packaging. They may work with printers and other vendors to ensure that the final product looks and functions as intended.
- Motion Graphic Designers: These designers specialize in creating animations, videos, and other moving graphics. They may work on projects such as animated advertisements, explainer videos, and title sequences for movies and television shows.
- Environmental Graphic Designers: Environmental graphic designers create visual designs for physical spaces, such as retail stores, museums, and public spaces. They may work on projects such as signage, wayfinding systems, and exhibit design.
- Illustrators : Illustrators create visual designs for a wide range of mediums, including books, magazines, and advertising campaigns. They may specialize in a particular style or type of illustration, such as children's book illustrations or medical illustrations.
Are you suited to be a graphic designer?
Graphic designers have distinct personalities . They tend to be artistic individuals, which means they’re creative, intuitive, sensitive, articulate, and expressive. They are unstructured, original, nonconforming, and innovative. Some of them are also enterprising, meaning they’re adventurous, ambitious, assertive, extroverted, energetic, enthusiastic, confident, and optimistic.
Does this sound like you? Take our free career test to find out if graphic designer is one of your top career matches.
What is the workplace of a Graphic Designer like?
The workplace of a graphic designer can vary depending on their specific job and employer. However, most graphic designers work in a typical office environment, which may include a computer workstation, desk, and office supplies. Some graphic designers may work in a design studio or advertising agency, which can have a more creative and collaborative atmosphere.
One of the most important tools for a graphic designer is their computer and software. Designers use programs like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign to create visual designs for a variety of mediums. They may also use other programs for tasks such as creating mockups or managing projects.
Collaboration is often a key part of a graphic designer's work, as they may need to work with clients, project managers, and other designers. This can involve attending meetings and presentations to discuss project requirements, brainstorm ideas, and present design concepts. Communication skills are therefore crucial for a successful career in graphic design.
Depending on the specific project and client, graphic designers may also be required to work outside of typical office hours, including evenings and weekends. Deadlines can be tight and designers may need to work under pressure to meet project requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do graphic designers need to know how to draw.
While being able to draw is certainly a valuable skill for a graphic designer, it is not always a requirement. Many graphic designers primarily work with computer software to create designs, using tools such as digital drawing tablets, software brushes, and vector graphics.
That said, having strong drawing skills can be beneficial, especially when it comes to sketching ideas, creating hand-drawn elements, or communicating design concepts to clients. Drawing skills can also help designers develop a better sense of composition, color theory, and typography, which can improve the quality of their designs.
Ultimately, while drawing skills are not always necessary for graphic designers, having a well-rounded skill set that includes a range of design tools and techniques can be valuable for developing successful and effective designs.
Graphic Designer vs Illustrator
While graphic designers and illustrators both work in the visual arts industry and may use some of the same tools, such as Adobe Creative Suite software, there are some key differences between the two professions.
Graphic designers focus on creating designs that communicate a specific message or concept, typically for commercial or promotional purposes. This can include designing logos, brochures, packaging, websites, and other visual materials. They use a combination of typography, color, images, and layout to create designs that are both visually appealing and effective in communicating the intended message to a target audience.
Illustrators, on the other hand, create visual images that tell a story or convey an idea. They often work in editorial or publishing contexts, creating illustrations for books, magazines, newspapers, or other media. They may use a variety of techniques, such as hand-drawing, painting, or digital illustration, to create unique and visually compelling images that help to bring a story or idea to life.
In summary, while both graphic designers and illustrators work in the visual arts industry and may share some similar skills, the focus and purpose of their work are quite different. Graphic designers aim to create designs that communicate a specific message or promote a brand or product, while illustrators focus on creating unique and visually compelling images that tell a story or convey an idea.
Do Graphic Designers need to know how to code?
That being said, many graphic designers work primarily on print or other non-digital projects, where coding skills may not be as relevant. Ultimately, whether or not a graphic designer needs to know how to code depends on their specific career goals and the types of projects they want to work on. However, having a well-rounded skill set that includes both design and coding skills can be a valuable asset in today's rapidly evolving digital landscape.
Pros and cons of being a Graphic Designer
Graphic design is a profession that combines creativity and technical skills to create visual concepts that communicate ideas and messages to a specific audience. While it can be a rewarding career, like any profession, it comes with its own set of pros and cons. Here are some of the most significant advantages and disadvantages of being a graphic designer:
- Creative Freedom: Graphic designers have the opportunity to express their creativity and use their imagination to create designs that are visually appealing and communicate a message effectively.
- Variety of Work: Graphic designers have the opportunity to work on a wide range of projects and with different types of clients, which can make the work more interesting and challenging.
- High Demand: With the increasing importance of branding and marketing in today's economy, there is a high demand for skilled graphic designers in a variety of industries.
- Competitive Industry: The graphic design industry is highly competitive, and it can be challenging to stand out in a crowded field.
- High Pressure: Graphic designers often work under tight deadlines and have to produce high-quality work quickly, which can be stressful and lead to burnout.
- Irregular Income: Freelance graphic designers may experience fluctuations in their income due to the nature of project-based work, which can be challenging to manage.
How long does it take to become a Graphic Designer?
The time it takes to become a graphic designer can vary depending on a few factors, such as the level of education pursued, the amount of experience gained, and the individual's level of dedication and motivation.
Typically, a Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design or a related field takes four years to complete. However, some programs may require additional coursework or an internship, which could extend the time required to earn the degree.
Alternatively, individuals may pursue a shorter-term certificate or associate degree program which can take anywhere from one to three years to complete, depending on the program's requirements.
Beyond formal education, gaining experience and building a strong portfolio can also play a significant role in becoming a successful graphic designer. This may involve working on freelance projects, internships, or entry-level positions, which could take several months to several years to accumulate.
Overall, becoming a graphic designer can take anywhere from a few months to several years, depending on the individual's educational and career goals, level of dedication, and ability to gain experience and build a strong portfolio.
Why I Want to Be a Graphic Designer
During my whole life and experience I have been interested in the Art, Creativity, and I have been traveling around Graphics Designing. When I go out to centres, supermarkets, the high streets around Kingston anywhere in London, Germany and other parts of Europe which I have seen. I have seen lots of Graphics designs in advertising, Billboards companies for example in electronical products or any type of product the graphics advertising companies running around the world, just because of that I was inspired in the graphics designing and I was influence by the subject. I was interested particularly in doing graphics design and the visual communication that I was inspired by combining images phrases and ideas to illustrate to the target and audience so that they would impact and react on those kind of illustrated for e.g. the billboards, poster, the product packaging and lots of more advertisement there. There are lots of elements on different types of media that I have already mentioned but there are also examples like Logos which really encourage people and make those people to think about logos. There are also lots of books designs and magazines advertisements thinking from these graphics design use of socially, morally ethical thinking mainly it happens when people do mostly think about positively and negatively so it would affect people’s mind and they would think more in detailed meaning which is called graphical visual communication, to demonstrate the recycle logo which would be advertise the recycling of ‘trees hunger and suffer do recycle paper’. As I have been using some of the graphics software program such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop CS6 their lots of innovation and creation to play around and I have used... ... middle of paper ... ...on then come to my mind graphic design. I was influenced by Students which did graphic design in universities as I was keep researching, it was a fantastic as I have studied in GCSE Art & Design, Design Technology Graphics and A levels Applied Art & Design Graphics. It experienced to discover me that I found finally my deduction. My inspirations are focus on mostly the graphics designing, although I have chosen to do applied art and design as a A levels subject I would like to discover the graphic designing in more detailed and depth and in future hope to do an idea which would be a applied art and design the graphics. I think and I believe that my potentials and my creativity will make the full use of my ability which I can afford if I go to college or university that I would apply. Where ever I go to study I would try my best to achieve my goal in my life.
In this essay, the author
- Explains that they had a project about making and product that relates to jewellery and decorative pieces. they chose design and technology for their gcse.
- Opines that although they have chosen to do art & designing, they still like to visit industrial designer/product designers. they also visited the new designers exhibition that was the 2013 exhibition ‘one year on’.
- Describes how they have been inspired by graphics design and the visual communication. they use adobe illustrator and photoshop cs6 to create picture effects.
- Explains that they have been producing in their gcse's making folder progressing of design technology work. they have produced an advertisement of it and showed how it overall looks and how much it cost.
- Explains that they were influenced by students who did graphic design in universities.
Click here to unlock this and over one million essays
- Explains that designers can have very influential impacts on people in the design field or not. some may not know it or understand it, which makes design more successful.
- Opines that charles and ray eames and marti guixe stood out in the reading, bright minds, beautiful ideas.
- Analyzes how the married eames couple started out in the early 1900’s but they influence so many designers in present day.
- Opines that ray kaiser's work is original and inspiring. the giant house of cards, made in 1953, is something that stood out for them.
- Explains that the leg splint made in 1941 was also a prominent work of design. they met the functional needs of an everyday person, which helped their design thrive.
- Opines that charles eames' alcoa solar do-nothing machine was the first experiment that related the potential relationship between aluminum and solar energy.
- Explains that marti guixe, who calls himself an "ex-designer," focuses on pieces that are already made, rather than coming up with new objects.
- Explains that marti guixe's main goal is to fulfill the needs of people, not the object itself. he likes to fix problems that are problems in everyday life.
- Analyzes how guixe covered an interior with greenery tape to create an inviting and warm space. he thinks creatively and out of the box, which makes him stand out from most designers.
- Opines that designing isn't the easiest field to be successful in but it can be one of the most rewarding. they want to use some of these designers' technics to progress in their design learning.
- Explains graphic design is the art and practice of planning and projecting ideas and experiences with visual and textual content.
- Explains the importance of communication when using graphic design. the owner of graphix connections, keith chapman, has been in the graphic communications business for thirteen years.
- Opines that communication is key to any relationship, personal or business related. chapman said that he had to communicate to the point that i knew what the buyer wanted on their product.
- Describes nonverbal communication as the process of shared cues between people, such as eye contact, frequency of glances, blink rate, gestures and facial expressions.
- Explains the importance of non-verbal and verbal communication in graphic design. graphic businesses must have great communication flow to succeed.
- Explains that graphic design is an artistically demanding job. a designer must be able to understand the needs of his or her clients and interpret that information into an original and unique design.
- Advises graphic designers to get a bachelor's degree in graphic design or related field and pursue technology training to meet hiring qualifications.
- Explains that a graphic designer mostly works full-time, but can collaborate with colleagues or clients on projects.
- Explains that desktop publishing has rapidly grown with the invention of personal computers. graphic communication professionals place words and pictures on things a person looks at everyday.
- Compares paula scher and victoria weiss, who both learned how to succeed in their field from a young age.
- Explains that graphic design requires patience and a keen eye for design. knowing the right people can help designers get an edge with competition.
- Explains that graphic design is a steadily growing occupation as the media needs original and creative designs on things like packaging or the covers of magazines.
- Opines that although andy warhol was never one of their true favorites, they respect him both for his talent and what he did to change our culture and view art today.
- Explains that andy warhol was one of the first artists to see soup as crude and tasteless in comparison to the prevalent abstract impressionist movement.
- Analyzes how andy warhol shined a light on unrecognised artists and broadened the horizons for what art can and could be.
- Opines that if andy warhol hadn't entered the art world, there would still be many under appreciated artists and efforts hidden under the rug.
- Opines that andy warhol's campbell’s soup series was important to the growth of our society.
- Explains that graphic design is the communication of a message and idea through art and graphics. 93% of graphic designers believe that the industry is in bad shape and fear for its sustainability.
- Argues that graphic design is not losing its value, it is evolving and expanding to adapt to the new needs of its clients.
- Explains that the graphic design industry provides a service that other creative industries don't. it creates the face, the image that client's targeted audience will remember.
- Explains that graphic design is a recession proof industry because it can be seen as an "inelastic good" in economist terms.
- Opines that web-based projects would provide job security for graphic designers, and that the industry's economic stability is possible mainly because of its main contributor to its success.
- Explains that the graphic design industry was able to create print collateral in a much more efficient manner with the help of adobe creative suites and development of technology.
- Explains that the graphic design industry is a problem-solving industry, with clients demanding websites, digital illustration, e-book covers, and even the icons of applications in smart phones.
- Opines that graphic design is one of the most needed industries out there. the industry is in a shift from the print to the digital medium.
- Explains that life has unfolded a lot of different paths for them up through their graduation.
- Explains that their father, an architect, is artistic and detailed oriented. they began drafting railroad electrical circuits in 1992, and gradually learned to write programmable scripts to speed up processes.
- Narrates how they became a single mother and learned new management skills at work. they were laid off from their job due to the economy tanking, and decided to go back to school.
- Describes how they decided to get a bachelor's degree in information technology management. they found odd jobs and applied for student loans, grants, and scholarships.
- Describes how college added new challenges to their hectic life. they learned that they weren't good at time management and communication with peers and stakeholders.
- Explains that they are outgoing and enjoy working alone on tedious projects. their god-given strengths of organizational skills, being decisive, and disciplined help them work on their weaknesses.
- Opines that they would like to either continue working on complex projects striving towards a project manager or work towards self-employment designing websites for individuals and small businesses.
- Opines that college has given them confidence, a sense of accomplishment, and the tools to take on larger projects, as well as ways to improve their skills.
- Explains that graphic designers make thousands of dollars for a single design, and that it is important to address the history, skills, education and positive and negative aspects of the profession.
- Explains that graphic designers began claiming various things as their own styles in the 1920's. the introduction of computers to the design industry revolutionized graphic design.
- Advises graphic designers to pursue a graphic design degree or one closely related, such as web design, photography, or illustration.
- Explains that graphic design has its pros and cons, and opines that an individual should choose a different job if they don't see learning as good.
- Opines that graphic designers make thousands of dollars for a single design. they emphasize the importance of history, skills, education, and positive and negative aspects of the profession.
- Explains that art and design are huge aspects of life today, and it influences everyone. art and design careers can take forms that many people may not have thought about. industries and related careers are constantly expanding.
- Explains that students should focus on their specific talents and goals in their work, be responsible for their own development, and keep drawing to train their eye. students should see as much art and design as possible and get a comprehensive high school education.
- Explains that art and design careers can be put into one of eight different categories, with the exception of a few. these include animation and motion picture, architecture and physical design, business oriented and technical.
- Explains that the first category, animation and motion picture, includes many different careers, including multimedia artists and animators, video game designers, and web designers.
- Explains that fashion/textiles is the only one to have an expected decline in jobs by 2022.
- Explains that performing arts careers include audio technician, choreographer, costume designer, make-up artist, screenwriter, and set designer. photography has few, but all promising and good options for art and design students.
- Opines that art and design related careers are great for artistically minded individuals, but competition for them is still high.
- Explains that art and design careers are a great option for students interested in those areas.
- Cites u.s. bureau of labor statistics' "2012 median pay." art & design careers. myfootpath llc, 2011.
- Explains that modern art and contemporary art are often thought to be of the same meaning but it is not true. modern art pertains to a period of art making that ran from approximately 1890 - 1960.
- Explains that contemporary art is used to describe recently made artworks, meaning works made in the last 10 - 20 years. they use a variety of materials and techniques but often use new technology.
- Explains that modernist artists such as wassily kandinsky, henri matisse, pierre-auguste renoir, edvard munch, piet mondrian, pablo picasso, were considered masters of modernism.
- Describes their research of the relation between modern art and graphic design. the term 'art deco' was first coined in 1968 in a book titled:
- Explains that the industrial age was in full shift and machinery was swiftly refining the class of life. it launched the printing press, radio, high-rise building, and streamlined transportation.
- Describes the exposition internationale des arts decoratifs et industriels modernes, held in paris in 1925. the art deco style is diverse, with influences from bauhaus, neo-classicism, modernism, futurism, cubist and art nouveau.
- Explains the art deco movement was a large-scale, with rich origins in other european countries such as, india, south africa, latin america, east asia, egypt, australia, united states, mexico and cuba.
- Explains that the paris showcase in 1925 focused on the art deco movement in france, but the finding of tutankhamun's burial in 1922 generated a global interest with everything egyptian, boosting contribution to the developmental visual of art
- Explains that art deco is often linked with a sleek visual, symmetrical geometric shapes and daring vivid colors like yellow, purple, ruby and turquoise.
- Explains that the art deco period saw a churning out of advertising bits and pieces, especially the travel poster.
- Explains that deco was envisioned to become a modernist continuation to art nouveau, and historians often talk about it in disparity.
- Explains that the stock market crashed in 1929 and the great depression began spanning the world. the enthusiasm of the 20s was reinstated with a unwelcoming solemnity.
- Explains that the art deco movement resumed to grow in the early 30s. fellows of high classes still favoured art deco artisans and craftsmen.
- Analyzes how art deco was a lewd, sparkling reminder of the outlook that never came. it was linked with bleak realism, and the danger of world war 2 in 1939.
- Explains that graphic design has changed vastly over the years, and continues to change. as technology evolves and trends change, those who make a living designing must change themselves and their style.
- Explains graphic design, a form of art that is referred to as the art of creating something through text, space, and design.
- Explains that graphic design is now used by large companies and small family businesses to represent something bigger than itself and become the symbol for the entire entity.
- Opines that a good logo can make or break any business.
- Explains how many studies have been done to expand their knowledge of the field or how certain things can have effects on us.
- Explains that they have always had a strong interest in art, and have been involved with it in some form all through their life. the chase's art department encouraged them to develop their art skills.
- Explains that they are currently studying art at a-level and have had their work exhibited in a gallery and in local industry buildings as part of the 'art in the workplace' scheme.
- Explains that their current interest in art is graphic/typography based, although they enjoy all areas of art. they enjoy using traditional mediums in a clean graphical way.
- Explains that they have had two part-time jobs involving computer related work, in which they bring art influences into their work.
- Describes how they worked as a teacher for year six pupils from various junior schools during an activity arranged by shell oil. they used their communication skills to explain the theory behind building the boat.
- Opines that their passion is art and they look forward to further developing their ability at foundation and degree level.
- Opines that graphic design is important in today's society and is used in media.
- Explains the use of social media websites with the help of smart phones and other mobile devices.
- Opines that young adults are interested in what's in style and other things.
- Explains that instagram allows people to do many things that most young adults are interested in.
- Explains that it allows people to express what is on their mind or to let others know how they are feeling.
- Explains that twitter allows people to chat or "tweet" about what is going on.
- Opines that social media is a great way to promote your business.
- Describes the company's designs and engaging young adults to become interested in what it has to offer.
- Explains how to appeal to other teens and young adults that buying their product will make them part.
- Describes the professions that the person might be interested in. offers from a place close to where they live.
- Describes what they would like to do in the future, career-wise.
- Describes the career that they would like to go into in the near future.
- Explains that people can do many things at once through the use of apps.
- Explains that mobile devices allow them to play games, listen to music, or do school work.
- Explains that an application must be simple and downloaded through an app store on the person's phone.
- Opines that most young adults and teens like to make profit off of their purchases of products.
- Explains the importance of graphic design and the things they see daily are created using it.
- Explains that businesses jumped in with profiles, or pages, of their own to take advantage of other websites.
- Explains that instagram is a profitable tool for people or businesses to share pictures of their interests or what they have to offer to other people.
- Explains that young adults and teens use social networking websites to keep up with society. they also help businesses that are "instyle" today.
- Explains that social media is a useful tool for people to have an easier time to find jobs instead of scrolling down pages.
- Explains that smart phones are improving every year, and there are many things that can be done with a smart phone, both school and career-based work.
- Describes the positive features of smart phones and other mobile devices that can be beneficial for people of all ages.
- Explains that album covers for music are created with graphic design. the layout of the picture, photo effects, and text effects are used to make intriguing designs for both apps and apps.
- Explains that internships are beneficial for students because it can help prepare them for the real world and give them an idea about the career that they are interested in.
- Explains that teens use the same types of apps on their phones. these apps are simple and easy to use for the consumer.
- Describes how they use any excuse to walk along the ocean, especially alone and without their phone. the wind blew cold air, but the sun’s warm rays kept their body at a perfect temperature.
- Describes how they were astonished by how many people were lounging by the ocean. they contemplated why more people don't swim and decide to tan in the sun instead.
- Recounts a funny moment where they were playing in their head what would happen if he were to walk up to them at the beach. they recalled why they shouldn't anticipate his presence.
- Describes how they were relieved to realize that the water was warmer than they had expected. they smiled as they looked at the young surfers attempting to catch the two foot waves.
- Describes how thinking of surfing brought them to think about their brother who is a surfer. he taught them that you don't always have to pick the first option because there are more opportunities.
- Narrates how they brainstormed about an art project they had been composing in their mind. they noticed that their thoughts are usually based off of one of their senses and blossom from there.
- Opines that they tend to be concerned about what other people are doing and don't spend much time developing what they are into. this is due to comparing themselves with others and their yearning to fit into society's standards of beauty and good in life.
- Opines that family is a constant topic in their head. they believe family became exclusively important when their older brother passed away.
- Explains that they grew up surrounded by art either in paintings, dance, or art performances at their sister's high school, the arts academy. their desire to create art has a root in their childhood.
- Describes how they spend time in their thoughts in a quiet setting where they can really reflect and learn from what their soul is telling them.
- Explains the key considerations for each stage to produce a successful design, focusing on the design brief and project definition stage.
- Explains the stage where information is collected and gathered in order to help generate design ideas. this includes client's preferences and target, as well as quantitative and qualitative information and feedback from past projects.
- Explains that at this phase, it is to dig the creativity of the designer and train him to utilise different methods and sources of inspiration to generate creative solutions to the brief.
- Analyzes how a general design concept can be refined and how images, words, colour and substrates can enhance the idea and increase its effectiveness.
- Explains that design ideas need to be presented and articulated to test target group acceptance and receive client approval. models, dummies, and storyboards can be used to portray a glimpse of how the design will look like in reality.
- Explains that design thinking has made its breakthrough on education, business, and design fields. it involves more creative and user-centered design approach.
- Explains that design thinking is primarily about the path, which is being distinguished from its more knowable way of thinking.
- Explains that design thinking is a proven and repeatable problem solving protocol that any business or profession can employ in order to achieve big results.
- Opines that they want to be successful and rich so they can have all the good things in life. they would like to partake in a life of nicer cars, extravagant home, and cash in the bank.
- Opines that police and detectives maintain law and order, collect evidence and conduct investigations and surveillance.
- Explains that they plan to obtain a master's degree in law enforcement five years after graduation. they like finding clues and figuring out the criminal in mystery books.
- Explains that a master's degree or any kind of degree looks good on any application. with the popularity of college lately, there is so much more competition in the workforce.
- Explains that police and detectives' employment is expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations through 2012. they plan to receive an academic scholarship, get students loans, and borrow money from a relative.
Last Updated 27 Jul 2020
Visual communication is the transformation of thoughts and ideas into pictures, photos, graphs and drawings. It is considered as the most interesting and fascinating form of communication because of the creativity it contains and the vision it requires. According to Wikipedia, visual communication is most commonly used daily when surfing the internet because a person uses his eyes to view the websites therefore the content of the website should be clear and understandable for the viewer’s eyes.
It is usually practiced by using the means of graphic design in order to put across their ideas into pictures or real life projects. This paper will talk about Graphic design, Graphic Designers, the steps a person needs to take to become a graphic designer, all the different fields in graphic design and the way the United Arab Emirates supports its students and future designers. Graphic designers are needed in all types of corporations including commercial and entertainment businesses. In accordance to Wikipedia, “graphic design is the process of communicating visually using text and images to present information. In contrast to what people might think, graphic design “often refers to both the process (designing) by which the communication is created and the products (designs) which are generated. ” In order for a person to choose graphic design as a career path , that person should be exceptionally creative and artistic, capable of working under pressure to meet deadlines, and has the ability to communicate well with others because his job description will oblige him to correspond with clients frequently and execute their requirements and desires in his/her work.
In reference to newsbytes, a graphic designer should be well aware of the functionality of his/her design rather than just being worried about meeting with the client’s request. “Give clients what they really need, not what they say they need” says Brad Husick, director of marketing for Clement Mok Design. Since graphic designers are responsible for designing the layouts of books, magazines, journals, websites and advertisements, they should always try to modernize their ideas by time in order for their business to receive more clients and become more successful.
Order custom essay Graphic Design with free plagiarism report
Another requirement of becoming a graphic designer is to receive a certificate that proves the person is capable of using any program that is relevant to design, since employers won’t request work experience but they would rather have a person with skill rather than experience (The Advertiser, March 1991). There is a long list to go through in order for a person to choose what part of graphic design he/she want to specialize in.
That list includes creative director, layout artist, brand identity design, logo designer, flash designer, illustrator, technical illustrator, Photoshop artist, multimedia designer, photographer, prepress technician and a web designer. Each of these job titles has responsibilities such as, a creative director is responsible for “making sure that each of these workers produce and complete their work on time and to the client’s satisfaction. ” A logo designer’s job is “to provide a new and innovative way to express the key message of a company through a recognizable image. And a web designer ‘s job is to create the pages, layout, and graphics for web pages, they play a key role in the development of a website. ” Each one of these jobs requires different courses, different certificates, and different experience, but they all share the sense of creativity and inventiveness in them. They also require a sense of “visual and organizational skills” in order for them to complete their vital duties towards the customers and their requests. In addition, these jobs require attention to detail, problem solving skills, and an up to date knowledge of using new design software.
As for graphic designers in the United Arab Emirates, they are mostly local women who aspire to play an important role in the development in their country and hope to offer back just a part of what their country offered them as of education and job opportunities. I interviewed a small number of Zayed University Graphic design students, who are exceptionally enjoying their courses and university experience, partly because of the encouraging and artistic environment that surrounds them from teachers, colleagues and administrators.
A graduated student commented on her own work “after accomplishing your design and perfecting it, you get a great sense of satisfaction and contentment from within. ” (AlSiri,F. )She also talked about how her family are exceedingly supportive to her studies and designs and continuously try to help her improve her designs and outcomes. The majority of the students agreed that their university is tremendously encouraging and that their teachers are always enthusiastic about their work and designs and re continuously motivating them to work harder and achieve higher positions. They also praised the encouragement and support of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashed Al-Maktoum for the female students who are trying their best to fulfill their dreams and improve the development of their country, whereas he has made everything uncomplicated for them and helped them by promoting women as leaders and motivating women to head their own businesses and offices through his Highness’ establishment for supporting small businesses.
In conclusion, graphic design is an extremely interesting but difficult profession that requires a variety of skills due to its involvement in both art, I. T and communication. Whereas a graphic designer should learn how to communicate well with his clients, as a part of his job, in order for him to succeed and complete his work creatively yet to the client’s liking.
Additionally, a graphic designer should be very accurate with his deadlines and might sometimes renounce the privilege of sleep, rest or food just to complete his requested orders and tasks. This career path is proven to be for individuals that have the ability and will to work hard and part of a team in order to accomplish the impossible, it also requires a passion for creating new designs and accepting criticism from people with different tastes. Communication research paper Graphic Design
This essay was written by a fellow student. You can use it as an example when writing your own essay or use it as a source, but you need cite it.
Get professional help and free up your time for more important courses
Did you know that we have over 70,000 essays on 3,000 topics in our database?
Cite this page
Explore how the human body functions as one unit in harmony in order to life
Graphic Design. (2018, Jan 28). Retrieved from https://phdessay.com/graphic-design/
Run a free check or have your essay done for you
More related Essays
Didn`t find the right sample?
Cities are increasingly seeking to encourage culture-related uses in particular areas, often designated as ‘cultural quarters’, to achieve regeneration outcomes, and public art is often applied in such quarters in.
Art historians and dentists alike have attempted over the centuries to unravel the mystery of Renaissance artist, Ambrosius Holbein’s Memento Mori Map. 1 The woodcut map was created as Holbein.
The most recognized and famous graphic designers and Illustrators are from the US and different countries from Europe, but what about the graphic designers from the Philippines. Kate Morose a.
Just like all five fingers of the human hand are not the same, all graphic designers are unalike. The field of graphic design is blessed with immense designers, each endowed.
Why Marjane Satrapi chose to tell her story Persepolis in the graphic form The graphic novel Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi was written in the graphic medium to appeal to a.
Graphic organizers are key to helping students understand information. There are many graphic organizers to choose from, and the key is to choose the one that bests complements the lesson.
Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi is a graphic novel that revolves around the adolescence of the narrator and protagonist, Marjane Satrapi. Growing up in Iran in 1979 around the Islamic Revolution,.
Symbol and Theme in Persepolis One symbol in the latter half of the graphic novel is cigarettes and smoking. In Marjane's life, choosing to smoke is something she first does with.
- Network Design
- Interior Design
Save time and let our verified experts help you.
Home / Essay Samples / Information Science and Technology / Computer Science / Graphic Design
Graphic Design Essay Examples
Graphic and Communication design is an area of design that is continually progressing and modernizing as each decade passes, from when the modern printing press was first inventing to the advancement in modern day technology and everything in between. This essay will analyze 3 key...
I’ve know what my career choice was ever since I was a freshman in high school. I wanted to go into the graphics design career. I was interested in how people in advertisement always made their products look good how people were able to make...
Graphic Design also called as Visual Communication it is a communication process created by hand or by using computer software. To create graphic designs, designers are using methods to create and put together words, symbols and images to create visual messages. Graphic Design developed in...
Technological development has placed designers at the heart of the creative process. Often, a graphic designer manages the design process and coordinates the work undertaken by other creative disciplines as part of a job. As such, the scope of a designer’s responsibilities now includes print...
The world is filled with beauty, charm and elegance. Mankind has evolved through thousands of years and certain people have helped enhance and purify his world. These people are called graphic designers. ‘Graphic Design’ is an art with a purpose. It involves a creative and...
In a world where graphic designers have so many important roles from society, technology, businesses, and political matters, the educational book is one of that aspects which is strangely being neglected in graphic design – especially in editorial fields. Book is still the most accessible...
During the 1940s to 1950s, a loose and small organization was born in New York City, there were many vanguard artists in this organization. At the core area of the New York school art movement, there are artists such as Jackson Pollock, Robert Motherwell, and...
Photography has taken an important role in design in recent years. Whether it is for personal or advertising purposes, a photograph is able to tell an entire story, which is why it has become so important in design. By creating the setting for a photograph...
What is graphic designing? What is the history of graphic design? How do you wrap a vehicle? What kinds of software and equipment do you need? Well I am here to tell you the basics of what you need to know. I will talk about...
V-model it’s a SDLC product used to process initially created in Germany for government guard ventures. It has turned into a typical standard in programming advancement. The V-Model gets its name from the way that the procedure is regularly mapped out as a flowchart that...
Trying to find an excellent essay sample but no results?
Don’t waste your time and get a professional writer to help!
You may also like
- Artificial Intelligence
- Cell Phones
- Cyber Security Essays
- Internet Essays
- Open Source Software Essays
- Net Neutrality Essays
- Computer Graphics Essays
- Digital Era Essays
- Negative Impact of Technology Essays
- Smartphone Essays
- Robots Essays
- Technology in Education Essays