Opinion Writing: a Guide to Writing a Successful Essay Easily
An opinion essay requires students to write their thoughts regarding a subject matter. Relevant examples and explanations back their point of view. Before starting an opinion paper, it is important to study the definition, topics, requirements, and structure. Referring to examples is also highly useful. Perhaps you need help with our college admission essay writing service ? Take a look at this guide from our dissertation writing service to learn how to write an opinion essay like an expert.
What Is an Opinion Essay
A common question among students is: ‘What is an Opinion Essay?' It is an assignment that contains questions that allow students to share their point-of-view on a subject matter. Students should express their thoughts precisely while providing opinions on the issue related to the field within reasonable logic. Some opinion essays type require references to back the writer's claims.
Opinion writing involves using a student's personal point-of-view, which is segregated into a point. It is backed by examples and explanations. The paper addresses the audience directly by stating ‘Dear Readers' or the equivalent. The introduction involves a reference to a speech, book, or play. This is normally followed by a rhetorical question like ‘is the pope Catholic?' or something along those lines.
What Kind of Student Faces an Opinion Essay
Non-native English-speaking students enrolled in the International English Language Testing System by the British Council & Cambridge Assessment English are tasked with learning how to write the opinion essays. This can be high-school or college students. It is designed to enhance the level of English among students. It enables them to express their thoughts and opinions while writing good opinion essay in English.
Get Your Opinion ESSAY READY TODAY!
We will write you a plagiarism-free opinion essay, with a title page, unlimited revisions, and bunch of other cool features included!
What Are the Requirements of an Opinion Essay?
Avoid Going Off-Topic: Always write an opinion essay within relevance to answer the assigned question. This is also known as ‘beating around the bush' and should not be included in any opinion paragraph as it may lower your grade.
Indent the First Paragraph: With most academic papers, opinion writing is not different. Therefore, it contains the rule of indenting the first line of the introduction.
A Well-Thought Thesis: The full thesis statement is a brief description of the opinion essay. It determines the rest of the paper. Include all the information that you wish to include in the body paragraphs
The Use of Formal Languages: Although it is okay to write informally, keep a wide range of professional and formal words. This includes: ‘Furthermore,' ‘As Stated By,' ‘However', & ‘Thus'.
Avoid Internet Slang: In the opinion paper, avoid writing using slang words. Don'tDon't include words like ‘LOL', ‘OMG', ‘LMAO', etc.
The Use of First Person Language (Optional): For the reason of providing personal thought, it is acceptable to write your personal opinion essay in the first person.
Avoid Informal Punctuation: Although the requirements allow custom essay for the first-person language, they do not permit informal punctuation. This includes dashes, exclamation marks, and emojis.
Avoid Including Contradictions: Always make sure all spelling and grammar is correct.
We also recommend reading about types of sentences with examples .
Opinion Essay Topics
Before learning about the structure, choosing from a wide range of opinion essay topics is important. Picking an essay theme is something that can be done very simply. Choosing an excellent opinion essay topic that you are interested in or have a passion for is advisable. Otherwise, you may find the writing process boring. This also ensures that your paper will be both effective and well-written.
- Do sports differ from ordinary board games?
- Is using animals in circus performances immoral?
- Why should we be honest with our peers?
- Should all humans be entitled to a 4-day workweek?
- Should all humans become vegetarians?
- Does a CEO earn too much?
- Should teens be barred from having sleepovers?
- Should everyone vote for their leader?
- The Pros & Cons of Day-Light Saving Hours.
- What are the most energy-efficient and safest cars of X year?
Opinion Essay Structure
When it comes to opinion paragraphs, students may struggle with the opinion essay format. The standard five-paragraph-essay structure usually works well for opinion essays. Figuring out what one is supposed to include in each section may be difficult for beginners. This is why following the opinion essay structure is something all beginners should do, for their own revision before writing the entire essay.
You might also be interested in getting more information about: 5 PARAGRAPH ESSAY
Opinion essay introduction
- Address the audience directly, and state the subject matter.
- Reference a speech, poem, book, or play.
- Include the author's name and date of publication in brackets.
- 1 or 2 sentences to make up a short description.
- 1 or 2 summarizing sentences of the entire paper.
- 1 sentence that links to the first body paragraph.
Body Paragraph 1
- Supporting arguments
- A linking sentence to the second body paragraph.
Body Paragraph 2
- Supporting argument
- A linking sentence to the third body paragraph.
Body Paragraph 3
- A linking sentence to the conclusion.
- Summary of the entire paper
- A conclusive sentence (the bigger picture in conclusion)
If you need some help, leave us a message ' write my essay cheap ' and we'll help.
Opinion Essay Examples
Do you need something for reference? Reading opinion essay examples can expand your knowledge of this style of writing, as you get to see exactly how this form of an essay is written. Take a look at our samples to get an insight into this form of academic writing.
Over the past, American popular culture has been strong in creating racial stereotypes. Images displayed through television, music, and the internet have an impact on how individuals behave and what individuals believe. People find their identities and belief systems from popular culture. Evidently, I believe that American pop culture has created racial stereotypes that predominantly affect other ethnic minorities. Analyzing the history of America reveals that African Americans have always had a problem defining themselves as Americans ever since the era of slavery. AfricanAmericans have always had a hard time being integrated into American culture. The result is that African Americans have been subjected to ridicule and shame. American pop culture has compounded the problem by enhancing the negative stereotypes ofAfrican American. In theatre, film, and music, African Americans have been associated with vices such as murder, theft, and violence.
The family systems theory has a significant revelation on family relations. I firmly agree that to understand a particular family or a member, they should be around other family members. The emotional connection among different family members may create functional or dysfunctional coexistence, which is not easy to identify when an individual is further from the other members. Taking an example of the extended family, the relationship between the mother-in-law and her daughter-in-law may be tense, but once they are outside the family, they can pretend to have a good relationship. Therefore, I agree with the theory that the existing emotional attachment and developed culture in the family is distinctively understood when the family is together.
Opinion writing is a form of academic paper that asks students to include their thoughts on a particular topic. This is then backed by a logical explanation and examples. Becoming more knowledgeable is a practical way to successfully learn how to write an opinion paper. Before writing anything, it is essential to refer to important information. That includes the definition, topics, opinion writing examples, and requirements. This is what turns amateur writers into master writers.
Feeling like you need some assistance with your essay? No matter what kind of writer you need, opinion or persuasive essay writer , our team consists of experts in all fields. Our college essay writing service helps those students who need an extra push when it comes to their assignments.
Need Qualified Essay Help?
Are you struggling with your opinion paper? Hit the button below to get writer's help. All your requests are processed fast.
- Plagiarism checker Do The Check
- Academic editing Ask For Help
- Samples database View Samples Base
How to Write an Opinion Essay: Step-by-Step Guide
18 Oct 2022
🔍What Is an Opinion Essay?
- 📁The Ultimate Purpose
- 📝Key Features of Opinion Essay Writing
✅Criteria of a Convincing Opinion Essay
👌🏿Tips for Writing an Opinion Essay
📃Opinion Essay Outline
- 📎Body Part 1
- 📎Body Part 2
- 📎Body Part 3
Whether in primary education, high school, or college, knowing how to write a paper that supports your position is vital. The ability to build arguments is another essential skill you can demonstrate in your work. Moreover, writing a persuasive opinion essay will help you score higher grades and let your voice resonate across many topics.
Opinion essays invite writers to express their standpoints regardless of what the opposing views might be. As long as you can back up your reasoning with facts and examples, it will remain valid. The author should also suggest a contrasting idea but refute it with arguments that expose its inconsistency.
Above all, students have the freedom to express their opinion on a specific topic. Yet, no idea is relevant if it lacks a proper explanation. Hence, learning the definition, purpose, criteria, and structure is highly beneficial. This step-by-step guide will show you how to write an essay and proceed to the finale like a pro.
Is writing essays your hobby?
Participate in our "Independence Day of the United States" essay writing competition and get a 12-month Quizlet subscription.
- Deadline: July 24, 2023
- Topic: Declaration of Independence
- Language: English
- Length: 1000-5000 words
- Font size: 11 or 12
What Is an Opinion Essay?
According to academia, an opinion essay is a written text that includes the author’s thoughts on a defined subject matter. The sentences should develop gradually and build upon logically presented claims. Eventually, you must arrive at an outcome that arises from relevant facts and arguments.
Including several examples from your life can be a big plus in the eyes of your educator. This point is particularly relevant for entry applications. Composing a good college admission essay requires the author to state ideas clearly, without excessive fillers and long reasoning. Referring to facts from studies and research or mentioning historical figures is advisable, too.
Finally, your manuscript must be technically accurate and structured and follow the rules of academic writing shared by your teacher. Since it is a formal piece, students must adhere to pre-set requirements. Typos, grammatical errors, and illogical sentences are off-limits, too.
The Ultimate Purpose
Teachers prefer the opinion essay format because it has proven to teach learners to express their views correctly. In addition, such reasoning lets educators test their students’ knowledge and critical thinking. Here are the underlying objectives convincing writing can achieve:
- Polished writing style. Even in a highly digitalized world, writing skills are still relevant. More specifically, you will have to write different types of college essays in school and later in your career. The sooner you master the process, the more efficiently you’ll deliver your standpoints in the future.
- Ability to convey thoughts. Regardless of the topic, teachers aim to help each student become an independent individual, knowing how to fight for their rights. Everyone must learn to express convincing arguments that put opposing views in a subordinate position.
- Mastering a specific subject. Educators must implement methods to test each student’s acquisition of the subject taught in school. Hence, writing a short essay is an excellent opportunity to ensure topic understanding. Social sciences and literature are ideal courses for this purpose.
- Developing creativity and reaching your audience. Any text intends to attract the reader’s interest and leave a mark on or modify their views. This way, you boost your confidence and improve your composition skills.
Key Features of Opinion Essay Writing
Essays have a specific form and characteristics you must follow to produce a high-quality piece. Consider these suggestions to make your text unique and attention-grabbing.
- Address the question at hand from both sides. This approach shows you’re knowledgeable about the subject and can tackle opposing views.
- Present a concise and well-reasoned subjective opinion. Ensure all your proof leads to it and that the conclusion summarizes your main points.
- Draw arguments and examples from your prior experiences. However, you can also include literary quotes and historical facts to strengthen your position.
- Stick to a logical essay structure . Sentences should flow naturally and lead to the finale.
- Incorporate speech instruments. Various language constructs will impact your audience and hook their attention.
- Use transition words to progress smoothly to the end of your manuscript. As a result, your reader will feel engaged and eager to proceed.
Criteria of a Convincing Opinion Essay
Many people don’t know how to write an opinion essay introduction even after graduation. Thus, they turn to a professional writing service to order an essay or read a few samples. Whatever your preference, there are specific guidelines you must consider when writing.
- Straight to the point: Going off-topic will lower your grade. Hence, check the relevance of your standpoints to the assignment and don’t steer away from the central idea.
- No fluff. Don’t write long sentences with no point in sight and a lot of water. Run-on sentences are also unacceptable because they bore the reader.
- Indentation: Remember to indent the first line of the intro for about 0.5 inches from the left margin. Indenting other body paragraphs isn’t necessary if there is enough visual spacing between them.
- A carefully crafted thesis: This part will describe the essay briefly and signpost what follows. Hence, offer insight about what you will support in the main body.
- Formality level: Although you might include some informal wording, concentrate on scholarly constructions. If you have problems, consider hiring a reflective essay writing service to boost your academic vocabulary. Also, choose more complex linking phrases.
- First-person sentences: Since you’re offering details from your experience, consider writing in the first person.
- Clear structure. Your essay must be coherent and follow the standardized layout.
- No slang: Forget about acronyms and abbreviations like “LOL” and “OMG, because these examples reveal you aren’t familiar with the essential rules.
- Focus on proper spelling and impeccable grammar.
- Versatile vocabulary: Use a lot of synonyms and high-learned phrases that demonstrate your academic skills.
- Refrain from parentheses, dashes, and exclamation marks. Also, avoid emojis at all costs.
Tips for Writing an Opinion Essay
Here’s some more expert advice on how to make an opinion essay stand out from the crowd.
- Use a scholarly tone for your opinion writing. It should sound as if you’re making a persuasive speech.
- Introduce the subject with clarity. Avoid useless phrases that distance the reader from the writing opinion paper.
- Avoid jargon and non-literary wording.
- The main ideas must be easy to spot. All body segments begin with a topic sentence.
- Write an excellent opinion essay conclusion.
- Stick to the present simple tense.
- Cite your sources and references.
- Use phrases like “I believe”, “I reckon,” and “In my view.”
- Brevity is the key. Write a concise introduction and conclusion that round up your positions.
- Ensure a logical sequence and give reasons that are easy to follow.
- Avoid colloquial expressions that come and go quickly.
- Abbreviated forms aren’t correct. Replace all contractions with their non-contracted versions. The reader should grasp what you’re contemplating.
- Over-generalizations are irrelevant. Stay precise.
- Don’t integrate statistics without citing them.
- Don’t forget essay examples that substantiate your position.
- Avoid repeating arguments. Group several similar facts in a single claim.
- Too many straightforward sentences are not typical for academic writing.
- Don’t use an imperative voice but be discreet.
- Emotive vocabulary should get avoided.
- Avoid addressing the audience “you”.
Writing an opinion essay can be a daunting task. However, with enough dedication and research, you can craft an essay that will demonstrate your knowledge and opinion on a given topic. To get started, head to PapersOwl.com , a reliable writing service that can provide you with quality opinion essay samples and guidance.
Opinion Essay Outline
The five-paragraph structure is perfect for this kind of writing. Alternatively, you might find someone to write your essay online for a fee. This way, beginners can see what each paragraph includes and how to develop their skills. Overall, the following structure will steer you in the right direction.
- State the subject matter
- Share a famous quote or scientific fact and give credit
- Thesis statement (one or two sentences to describe the overall content)
- Sentence that introduces the first argument
Body Part 1
- Supporting claim
- Explanatory part
- Sentence that transitions to the second argument
Body Part 2
- Sentence that transitions to the third argument
Body Part 3
- Sentence that transitions to the conclusion
- Summary of the essay
- An overall sentence that rounds up the theme.
Was this article helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.
As a specialist in the university writing center, she is a caring personality that helps students progress and see how to compose their first perfect written assignments. Elizabeth is an experienced content writer and online marketing aficionado, which has helped her to experiment and explore. Going beyond her comfort zone as an author, she always covers challenging ideas in writing, helping others learn and reach for the new horizons.
Readers also enjoyed
Insider's guide how to beating turnitin.
Student Tips 89 likes
Redundancy in Writing: Guide on Succinctly Writing
Student Tips 77 likes
Draw Our Owl In Your Own Style (Art Competition)
Student Tips 64 likes
WHY WAIT? PLACE AN ORDER RIGHT NOW!
Simply fill out the form, click the button, and have no worries!